Sign in to follow this  
Guest Howard

A320PIC first impressions

Well, I spent most of last night with it. Here are my initial imppessions:I think it has tremendous potential. I'm one of the people who prefers the immersion factor in the virtual cokpit. This one is well done. It takes a while to get used to the whole clickable vc thing, but once you do it's neat.I had NO problems with the frame rates after following the advice on the Wilco forum. Getting close to 20 even with high scenery settings and 90%ai traffic.Now the cons...The documentation is just useless. I've never flown the Airbus before, and I'm completely lost in regard to the FMGS computer. The manuals are so vague. I really can't fly it till I understand how to. I've read some info on other forums from people who understand, but they may as well be speaking martian to me. I think they should have included a step be step tutorial, as in "push this button, enter this info and this will happen"Flight model is very very touchy. You can't adjust the controller sensitivities, so you're stuck with it. Definitely needs work.The liveries. This is where I'm a bit peeved. The United livery is just plain bad. Considering this plane has been in development for quite some time, and it cost $37, this is inexcusable to me. Follow the links below. This first is a screenshot from fs.com forums, and the second is a pic from airliners.net with the same perspective from a real one.http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/dcforum/DC...mID8/19559.htmlhttp://www.airliners.net/open.file/312428/M/I'm sure they will be repainted eventually, but I expected much better quality for that amount of money.All in all though, they do break some new ground with this one. And they two programmers are wonderful in helping solve some of the initial issues that are coming up. I think when it's all said and done, after patches and repaints etc. this one will be a keeper. I just wish I understood how:-(Also, my system specs P4 2.8 o/c to 3ghz, G4 4800, 512 ramCheers!Stephen

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Stephen.Thanks for the info, which appears to still be scarce regarding Wilco's new release.Yeah, the paint jobs do need a little weak for that ammount of many, mostly when you consider what's available as freeware. And that's too bad about the manual, or lack of one.I do hear that the entire package, though, as you said, is well worth the money. I understand the programmers have made a big stride towards representing a complex plane like an Airbus in FS, and that is always good. Gotta have people pushing the bar forward, all the time, that's what evolution is all about ;-).And you can't beat good tech support, just makes you know they care.Let us know some more about your impressions once you get deeper into it.

You bet I will. And I agree, the tech support is what makes me think that it will get patched and be a great add on eventually. Those guys seem to really care.I just wish someone could tell me how to use the darn FMGS! I'm becoming an expert at driving the thing around the airport tarmac!

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Stephen.Wild shot in the dark here, but have you tried downloading PSSs manual for the A320? If I'm not mistaken, it is available as a free download from www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk and it might help you out.If not, I might be able to help you with one thing or two, just let me know what you need.

Hey thanks! I'm getting them now. Let me read up on it and give it a shot tonight. I'll let you know what I come up with. I can probably give a betterr impression of it if I actually get it to fly correctly.stephen

Guest Howard

You are right - it is an excellent add on. I just requires a different approach to simming - more use of the zoom and pan in exchange for the ability to look around and work in one environment. All of the top class commercial civil airliner add ons had patches (some major) at least once. So do most software packages - its in the nature of the beast.All the Developers need is constructive feeback. Their support is excellent.RegardsHoward

Guest Markyboy

Sorry for saying this but in a word, Rubbish. God only knows what system they tested it on when a 2600 athlon nor a 2.53 P4 can make anything more than a slideshow of it. Patch or no patch its simply not good enough to release something this poor. They undoubtedly had some real nice ideas and for whatever reason its not translated into a good product.

Well, initially it ran fairly well on my P4 2.8. But, upon further testing, I made an approach into LAX last night and it was slideshow city.Plus I notice alot of things in the cockpit don't work. I can't tune my radio's t frequencies. I can get the first part (ex: 118.xx) but the .xx part is untunable. Starting to see more problems as I go along. Hope they get corrected. Seems more in beta stage to me, which kinda gets me a little irritated.

Hi there,I had the same problem on my P4 2.4 with XP Home, but then I went back to Nvidia 29.42 WHQL Certified drivers and the difference was HUGE. I was using the latest 41.09 WHQL drivers and indeed they produced a SLIDE SHOW.You can get the 29.42 from http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=winxp-2k_archiveHope this may helpRichard

Hi Rich,I am on the 29.42's. it really ran good everywhere till I went to LAX. I have AI set to 90% so I'm sure that is a factor. I just don't want to reduce all of the settings I've grown accustomed to. They are what make FS so much fun.I haven't given up yet!! :)thanks again

Hi there again' Sorry I could not help.I do not know if you use a second monitor to put zoomed gauges onto but I do and have noticed that the more gauges you drag and use on the other screen the lower the frame rate. So I only use them when I really have to and then only one at a time.Also I have just downloaded the new Omega 1.4230 drivers so I will go and give them a try.regardsRichard

Guest Sabadin

>Well, initially it ran fairly well on my P4 2.8. But, upon >further testing, I made an approach into LAX last night and >it was slideshow city. >>Plus I notice alot of things in the cockpit don't work. I >can't tune my radio's t frequencies. I can get the first >part (ex: 118.xx) but the .xx part is untunable. Starting to >see more problems as I go along. Hope they get corrected. >Seems more in beta stage to me, which kinda gets me a little >irritated. Have you tried clickig on the tuning knob for the radios?

lets put it this way...there isn't a spot on that panel near the radios I haven't clicked :)

Guest Howard

Funny, Im sure my machine is a P4 2.53. I get frame rates of around 10-15 with all settings maxed except except terrain mesh which is 90%. Other settings are as the recommend - see the Wilco forum.RegardsHoward