Sign in to follow this  
StoneC0ld

#6 RTW Race Thread #6

battling 100 knot headwinds again, so expect a slight delay.25 minutes out, ETA 22:55Z

I'm also ready at the rampDo you mind if i take this one ? Will you be able to fly the next one or not ? I ask you because if i miss this one it will be too late for me, so if you could grab the next it would be just fine...RegardsFrancisco Leit

OK franciso: you take this one OK?I'm not too sure if i'm capable to fly OEPA-LLRD.Might fall asleep on my keyboard!!So just see how things go on.What aircraft are you flying?RegardsJohan

I'm taking up the King Air 350I don't believe i can make it to OEPA, so i've chosen OERM as a more feasible destination to reach in the 2 hour limitBTW, where is the "lander" ??RegardsFrancisco Leit

Here's a map of Elrond's suggestion. Note that unless Malta counts as "Europe", then we shall have to deviate a bit to catch either something in the south of Greece, the toe of Italy, or go all the way to Gibralter. (My eyeball suggests one of the airports on the toe of Italy. LICR perhaps--depending on the weather perhaps LICA.In any case, this picture should give a good sense of how we are trying to proceed as efficiently as possible--following the curvature of the earth.Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

All,I've drawn the picture of Elrond's proposed flight plan. (See the third post from the top in this overall thread.) One can see with one's eyes how efficient it is in following the curvature of the earth to minimize deviations.One thing, though. Unless Malta counts as continental Europe (we really need confirmation from Matt if it does or does not), then we'll have to go north to "touch down" at a Greek Airbase on the way from Crete to Malta--or use one of the airports on the Italian toe as a substitute landing point for Malta. Such a change will cause some minor extra inefficiencies.We should see how we're doing when we get there. The specifics of the waypoints are NOT written in stone.Suggestions anyone?Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Departure at 2300Z expected landing 0100ZWill give more accurate estimate as soon as i get up thereRegardsFrancisco Leit

Now What ?I believe we have a draw here... who will actually get to carry the baton ?RegardsFrancisco Leit

First one off has it, that's you I think?Paul's filed for Dili-Dili anyway, which is about 2500nm the other way :-lol

Paul and Francisco,Well, this is very close! By one stroke, Francisco shows up at 6:02 and Paul at 6:03 in the "new thread" listings. But Paul quickly picked up from Jeroen on the old thread at 6:02 as well.Hmm.Can either of you two be ready to pick up the baton at 0100Z (that is, 8:00 PM EST)? If so then you can negotiate this one out. (Share emails, and communicate so as to make a quick smooth transition at the 0100Z handoff.)(If I recall, in a similar instance Paul gave up a flight to someone while were flying over the Berring Sea. Perhaps we owe Paul a tilt in the case of a tie?)Ideas, anyone?MikeOr, if we can't figure this out, how about if I flip a coin in North Carolina?M.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1