Sign in to follow this  
StoneC0ld

#6 RTW Race Thread #6

You're right Jeroen.So let's don't mess things and have fun!!I'm off now, enjoying my horizontal meditation!I'll try to catch up at 10.00am zulu.CheersJohan

No, the first one to post he has it has it, whoever that is.Problem is that 2 people posted that at the exact same moment (which had to happen sooner or later).Of those two, Francisco was the first to leave the ground.It is indeed best if they fly on together.

OK. If I understand the current situation 3 people may be co-flying a leg that departed from OOMS. Where are they headed? Is anyone currently standing by for the following leg? Should I make myself available for the next leg or plan for the one after that?Jeff Williams (KDCA)

Jeff,Great to hear from you! (Jeff is a veteran RTW type.)If you read through the posts of a couple of threads, you can see what is happening.We've been working under a set of rules from Matt Smith (who doubles as the Flightsim.com leadership type). The rules are posted at the top of the thread.The AVSIM guys have been taking a more cooperative attitude. We started out about 2000 nm behind and (ouch) decided to fly East to West. So cooperation seems a useful strategy.We've been trying to get someone sitting on the tarmac waiting for each flight to come in and take the baton. When there have been more than one volunteer, so far, people have talk it out and come to an agreement.I hope that this cooperative pattern can continue. It's a lot more fun to have eveyone on the same team pulling together. If we start pushing each other around, then the fun will disappear.So we should have a flight due at about 0100Zulu tonight (8:00 PM EST)Francisco and Paul will announce the destination and ETA clearly so that others can plan ahead.In this case, we may have a problem because headwinds may force some flexibility on their part. So the landing pilot should post in this forum to keep others aware of what's happening.About 10 minutes before the ETA, the pilot to receive the baton should announce that he is ready. When the first pilot lands and announces touchdown, the second pilot takes off. He posts an new "subthread" with the departure and destination ICAO letters.As Jeroen says, this has all worked out well for a few days. Let us hope that we can continue.But note that all this is about informal cooperation--not about Matt Smith's rules.The idea is that we work out ahead who the next pilot will be. (There being no formal reservation system.) And that the new pilot pick a destination that lies along our route. (Formally, each pilot picks his own destination.) We want cooperation, not roguish behavior, if we are all to share in the fun. IMHO.Mike(I have to leave right now for a meeting. I really hope that you guys can work this one out. M.)

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Hi Mike,Let me see if I've got the procedure. I will get my Cheyenne ready and wait for the current destination to be anounced. At that point I should start planning for a next destination airport that is approximately 2hrs flying time in the direction of Crete. I should fire up flight sim using current time and date and real weather (via FS Meteo) at the current destination airport and standby for the arrival post. As soon as the arrival is posted I can post a claim to the Baton and start my leg. Jeff Williams (KDCA)

Hi Mike,I appreciate the mention, but the plot and credit is wholly Jeroen's. I just entered it into FS and captured the details.And I appreciate you plotting it to map - for those of use who *really* wish we could participate, but life is not allowing that, your map makes things much easier to follow. And, as a bonus, its a great geography lesson to boot.As a sideliner, I'm also really appreciating everyone's great descriptions of their flights... Please keep that practice everyone!Thanks,Elrond

Matt, I can only see one inconsistency in your reply and on the whole rules. That inconsistency has raised this problem. You cannot say that the first claimer has it and encourage people to stand by 10 minutes before the last flyer arrives. The thing is, people are ready 10 minutes earlier waiting, with a flight planned and then some guy comes up and says I have the Baton and he's got it, and the guy who has been waiting thinks, Oh well, why am i worrying about this ? Next time i'll just be refreshing the thread page just to be sure to be the first one to post ! Am i the only one who sees this ? Read the thread with attention and try to see what happened wrong here. I'm sure it was not me and Johan being ready a bit prior to jerome's arrival.Nevertheless i respect the ruling and as been said, this is a joint flight... Well, not quite because Paul has just turned the turbos on and disappeared... Seems like he's not a bit worried in making this a joint flight... but that does not surprise me after what happened tonight.RegardsFrancisco Leit

I am putting myself in standby position at OEJB with Cheyenne ready to go.Jeff Williams (KDCA)

Hi Jeffrey, Paul must be just over the horizon now, he's 80 miles ahead of us, P-38 faster than King Air

I'm about 30 minutes from OESK. ETA 9:50PM EST.Jeff Williams (KDCA)