Sign in to follow this  
StoneC0ld

#6 RTW Race Thread #6

Arrived OESK. Picture to follow.Jeff Williams (KDCA)

Rolling... :)Levelled out at 9000ft because of strong headwinds. Winds are 30kts at 250 at 9000ft.ETA 0456ZLooks like I'm one minute early 0355Z and 240nm to go. ground speed 241kts. winds 249/29kts.But I need to climb to 12000 to clear the mountains that I can't see yet in Lebanon. I'm starting to get a glimmer of sunrise. :)Woodreau / KMVL

No reservations here (if someone claims the baton before me no problem), but I'll be preflighted and ready at LCLK...ETA?

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

Guest Liam

Woody,You standing by to take over at 0500z? If not when I touch down in Bangor will pre-flight my Seneca for the next leg.Wheres the next route up into Europe?Liam

Ok, now I'm confused..... Who's flying this leg?Looks to me like it's Woodreau (this the Woody you're referring to?) that's flying the current leg, finishing about 0500 zulu.....

Liam,I'm confused here.StoneCOld (Dave) is standing by at Lanarca (LCLK) waiting for Woodreau to land. His next leg is either to Crete or, perhaps if he can make it, to Greece.If you want to fly the next leg insted of Dave, you might initate a conversation with him about doing so. It's better if we can agree. If you can wait for the next leg, then so much the better.Please do work this out amicably.Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Guest Liam

GuysWill bow out this leg, got stuff to do in three hours.See if I can get something in 24 hoursLiam

Hey gang...Anyone got an updated map of where we've been and where we are... especially in comparison to the competition...??DUH, guess I should read the first post every so often huh. Apologies for the rhetorical question.Hawkeyez

Dave or whoever passes near Greece.We need to touch down in Greece proper (not the islands) to "count" Europe among our continents. (Hitting Greece causes less of a deviation than waiting to hit Italy or even Spain. See the map at the top of this thread.)It may or may not make sense to land in Greece. Our original plan had us flying from Crete to Malta. We could achieve the "counting" Europe by doing a touch-and-go in Greece--just so long as we touch landfall.One recommendation for a landing, or a touch-and-go, is Kalamata AB (LGKL). Flying from Crete to Malta while hitting LGKL in a touch-and-go adds on only about 30 nm to the trip. Pretty good deal, one might say.Your thoughts?Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Liam, looking forward to seeing you tomorrow night!Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Now that the sun has risen behind me, I find myself above a broken-overcast layer with the mountains poking their peaks above the clouds :)157 nms to go, climb up to 12,000ft has increased the head winds to 37kts, but only slowed down my groundspeed by 5kts, anyways my slide ruler says 39mins to go. but inevitable I'll lose some time due to slowing to pattern altitude.Coming up on Lebanese airspace, anticipate going feet wet pretty soon.Cheers :)Woodreau0424ZFeet wet, 30mins and 119nm to LCLKWoodreau

I can get from Larnaca to Kalamata for a full stop landing in 1:54 in the P38....According to the flight planner, anyway.....

Guest Liam

Hey Stonecold,Sorry for the confussion the forum updates and I miss read yourself, thinking you were woody my appologies. Are you gonna fly online (VATSIM)If so what ya flying and do you fancy some company. Might just follow ya for the fun of it and to kill a couple of hours.Will await your post,Liam

I originally wanted to install squawkbox and fly on vatsim for this flight (first time in ages!), but I'm running out of time..... If I started trying to figure it out now, the baton would arrive and be claimed again before I'm ready..... :(Printer's out of ink, as well, so I can't print out the guide, which would make it so much harder....Next flight, maybe.... :)