Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Upgrading From P4 2.53 to 3.06 Worth It?

Here's my current pc configuration:P4 2.53ASUS P4PE MB (which supports 3.06 and higher with hyper-threading)512MB PC2700 DDR RAMATI Radeon 9700 Pro video cardThis is much more than I really need except, of course, for FS2002 which would be nice with say a P4 5.0. My question to you all is this: do you think it would be worth exchanging my P4 2.53 for a 3.06 for $400? $350? $300? I just have no feel whatsoever how much that .5GHz would buy me in FS2002. I think there would be a significant benefit in going from a 700GHz to a 1.2, for example, but I just don't know whether going from a 2.5 to a 3.0 is worth the bucks. All opinions are welcome.

I don't think it's worth the money. There will be an increase in performance but nothing to get excited about. As mentioned in the first reply, why not just overclock the existing CPU? I would think you can get it to 3Ghz, or very close, even with the stock cooling. I regularly run a 500Mhz OC on a P4/2.2 with the Stock Intel cooler and heat isn't a problem at all. That's the cheapest 3Ghz you can buy and the nice part is you can always go back if it proves problematical. TripPS: Yes, it's true, it is very hard to cook a P4.

If about two to three frames per second is worth it, go for it, but I don't think the extra cash will be worth it myself. Best of luck!Robb

The ratio of the 500Mghz in your example of going from 700Mghz to 1.2 Gig is more than 70%. So you would get approximately a 70% increase in speed that would be rather noticable. From 2.53ghz to 3.06 however, is only approx. 20%; not as noticible. In my opinion, unless your doubling (or close) your speed, it doesn't warrent the money. I recently went from a 500mghz AMD to a P4 1.8 and WOW. What a better world. When they start to approach 4Gigs my I'm going to start getting itchy again.Best...

Short answer is - no. Long answer is - no, but overclocking is a cost free option.

I just read a review of the new Flight Sim: CoF at flightsim.com stating that it will support hyperthreading, so the 3.06GHz processor may be worthwhile then.Personally I'd wait until then to see what the outcome is before spending the money. The price of the processor should drop by then also.Adrian

This raises a question for me to ask. I currently have been using a P4 1.3 ghz and I dont think it's all that great. So I have been searching for a new computer to upgrade to. Namely an Alienware 3.06ghz. What I want most from this is to be at one of the Simflyers airports and have a it run smooth. I can sometimes land at them before the frames bottom out on me and it becomes a slide show. This always happens once I turn to the gate to taxi. I guess what I am getting at is will these 3 gig plus computers smooth things out. I know some may say at least landing is good but I guess I want it all.Thanks Andrew

Guest frankcubillos

Go for it FSCOF IS going to support HT..... :-wave---Banners? We don't need no stinkin' banners!---Visualize PAI sig banner here.

>Go for it FSCOF IS going to support HT..... :-wave Right now, I believe that AMD is the better chip, clock for clock, and especially for FS2002 (where it benefits from the faster FPU performance of the AMD). Does anybody have even a clue as to just what effect hyperthreading would have on FS9 performance, or will it turn out just to be hype? ;) -Basil

Guest frankcubillos

Hyperthreading and the new PCI bus graphics that is coming soon, it should be a real treat!---Banners? We don't need no stinkin' banners!---Visualize PAI sig banner here.

Why upgrade to a HT enabled CPU in anticipation for COF now?Its not going to be released for some months, by then other HT CPUs will be available from Intel, so the current 3.06 will be cheaper and you'll have more to chose from.I had the same setup 'till a few days ago. I suggest you wait a while. :)

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

What exactly, is hyperthreading? Gasp!Peter Sydney Australia

Guest oyvindhansen

One CPU acting as two, supposedly giving the system a possibility of parallel processing, which in games may be used to run complex additional stuff (clouds, AI) without stealing to much framerate. You should also be able to run heavy tasks such as file compression without them hogging the system.- Oyvind