Sign in to follow this  

Avsim vs FlightSim RTW Race Thread #7

Hi Mike,Given the circumstances why should we take a risk?Flying to SBFN is no problem for the Cheyenne, even with poor weather.Once choosen for SBFZ it might be a problem to divert to SBFN.I cannot suggest the dest. SBBE: the risks are too high (and I'm not the the mood to be eaten by jaws!).So lets hope Dave finds a solution.I'll be standby anyway.Johan

Good news is that at 1400Z the weather in the South Atlantic region looks ok. At least not the 100 kts headwinds we encountered in off Kamchatka and Japan. (Of course, we are a few hours away...and things can chage radically.)Here are the (FSMeteo) upper level winds at the moment for FL340 and FL390:GVAC: 0 at 27; 0 at 31SBFN: 0 at 27; 0 at 31SBFZ: 200 at 24; 200 at 30SBBE: 190 at 4; 190 at 12(Its raining in Fortaleza, but otherwise agreeable enough.)Not sure which weather simulator the pilot will be using.Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

I'll see when it's finished downloading..... :)

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

If possible and needed I can go a bit further to GVFM.Tell me if 4000ft is enough for what will be used on the crossing, saves about 100nm.

It'll depend on how much leeway the constellation's range will allow for..... if the general consensus is to use one of the shorter legs, then it's probably the better idea since it's a long leg to start again......EDIT: I might even end up asleep by the time the baton arrives in GVAC anyway.....

Johan and Dave,Let's for sure count on Johan being available when Jeroen touches down. (You two might communicate about smoothing the handoff if needed.)If Dave can be absolutely confident about making the GVAC-SBFZ run, then we should talk about which of the two options is more desirable. The more cautious route will take a bit longer.GVAC-SBFZ 1539 nm.GVAC-SBFN-SBFZ 1723 nm.for a difference of 184 nm. for the more direct route. About an hour in the race. This ASSUMES equal cruise speeds and climb rates.So to make a decision we want to compare economy cruise speeds for the Cheyenne and Constellation. If the performances are the same, and we are sure that the Connie has a good airfile, then we ought to consider doing the Constellation. (Provided, of course, that the Constellation has enough safe range to make the full jump.)Otherwise, we should be slightly more cautious and go for SBFN. We are much better off taking a sure thing (with a 1 hour penalty) than risk losing the trans-Atlantic jump for a restart. (Besides, we don't want to have to fish Dave out of the cold dark waters of the Atlantic!)Does this sound like a reasonable analysis, Johan and Dave?Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Guest dcc

fyi, I have a F-5E-2 (Photo recon version of the P-38) that when equipped with two 300 gallon tanks and a supplemental internal tank, can go about 2400 miles (2085nm) (this is realistic, and was actually done on occasion during the war). However, it is pretty slow at maximum fuel efficiency settings (170 - 200 mph, approx 150 - 175 knots) so it would take a lonbg time. I'd be willing to fly it, however I'm not available for another 7 - 8 hours.- dcc

That would cut the Cape Verde-Fortaleza route to 1435 nm (GVFM-SBFZ). That might make it possible for Johan to fly direct to SBFZ in the Cheyenne--which can handle the 4000 ft runway.What do you think, Dave and Johan?

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

That should put you in position for a shorter leg (thus, higher speed :-)) over the Amazon basin.Photographing trees is a lot more interesting than photographing water too :-lol

OK guys, I'm feet wet and we're over the Atlantic (with just Cabo Verde between us and South America).45 minutes out from GVFM at this time. Johan is setting up for the big one.Descending now, appr. 30 minutes to touchdown.

Dave,Thanks for the intriguing possibility. Right now, though, it looks like Jeroen is approaching the Cape Verde Islands and we'll have to take action in a half-hour or so.Those of us at work can only watch and cheer our guys on!MikeBTW. Downloaded and spent some time with your P-38s last night. Really terrific stuff. Congratulations on exceptional artistry!Highly recommended to everyone.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Super Constellation:Real:Range: 4,288 nm / 7,948 km with full fuel, no reserves, at 10,000 ft. The FS plane I just installed: 4810 nm I could fly it round trip on 1 tank!

I've done two simulated flights with the Cheyenne(Rate 16x speed):1.SBFZ: max. 300-320 IAS with some fuel left(15%)2.SBFN: max. 320-350 IAS with some fuel left (10%)3.SBBE: not an option.So fuel consumption is high, but two destinations are reachable!!A quick vote is needed now.Johan