Sign in to follow this  

#8 Avsim vs FlightSim RTW Race Thread #8

ETA when at cruise.ETE approximately 90 minutes.ETA 07:20Z, that's just over an hour from now.Any pickers for the next leg to Exuma (MYEF) yet?

Just did some math. Seems we're twice as far ahead of team fs.com than the distance we still have to cover.We can if needed put in extra stops at Freeport (MYGF) and/or Atlantic City (KACY).Will cut the legs to Myrtle Beach and Boston to under 500nm each which can be done in 2 hours easy by almost anything.

Jeroen,Can you divert to MDSP? See the next post.Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

All,I'm going to make a suggestion that we slow down just a bit. (This is hard for me to say--if anyone took Matt's challenge too seriously, you're listening to him. :-hah )After Jeroen lands at about 0800Z, we have only 3 more legs to fly. Roughly speaking, that puts us into NYC at 1400Z. (I'm assuming that we take Matt Smith's suggestion that the "race" ends at KLGA. As with the Tour de France, we can do a ceremonial "final lap" from KLGA to KBOS.My suggestion is that we divert just a bit. And cut our legs down to about 400 nm. each.Jeroen, you would now fly to MDSP Santo Domingo. This is an ILS-equipped major airport and easily landable at night. The next pilot would fly west to Jamaica's MKJP which is also ILS-equipped for a night landing. (We were tentatively scheduled for MYEF. However, MYEF has no lights on the runway. A challenge--but possibly doable. But my main point is to shorten flights and let more guys in the last day.)Then from Kingston to Nassau Bahamas MYNN. Again ILS for what is probably a dwan approach. This should be beautifulThen Jacksonville's KJAX.Then KRDU in Raleigh-Durham. (This is my home "international" airport, near Chapel Hill. If you fly here, I'll drive out to the airport with coffee and Krispy Kreme doughnuts. On second thought, the departing pilot should not take on the doughnuts.)Finally, a group flight from KRDU to KLGA to put an explanation point on the AVSIM trip.In summary:TFFR-MDSP 484 nm 0800Z 3:00 AM EST Santo Domingo, D.R.MDSP-MKJP 407 nm 0930Z 4:30 AM EST Kingston, Jamaica MKJP-MYNN 428 nm 1200Z 6:00 AM EST Nassau, BahamasNYNN-KJAX 396 nm 1400Z 7:30 AM EST Jackson, FloridaKJAX-KRDU 354 nm 1600Z 9:00 AM EST Raleigh-Durham, North CarolinaKRDU-KLGA 374 nm 1800Z 10:30 AM EST New YorkBy shortening each leg, we add more slots for pilots during the last day. This is my most important aim. The guys who have done so much might want to put their signature on the final runs.Second, perhaps less important, the final KLGA flight would take place during hours when AVSIM pilots in both Europe and the Americas can easily attend. (My very rough calculations may be a bit off, of course.)Third (and only of modest interest, this gives us ILS approaches during the night.)Let me be clear about this. I would not be proposing this if the Flightsim team were close on our heels. At my last look, they were still some 3,000 nm from South America, and maybe 6,000 nm from New York. That's roughly 18 hours flight time! So we have some time to give everyone a chance to enjoy the last lap.BTW. If we do this more open final day, it will be incumbent on all pilots to open the door for our colleagues to get a chance to fly today. Especially our veterans who have not flown a leg recently. So everyone "play nice", agreed?(On another note, I'm going to suggest that METRO_752 do the last leg into KLGA. He is the pilot who got us started.)Mainly, I'm keen on increasing the number of available opportunities for our enthusiastic and determined team players. Everyone deserves a moment in the morning sunlight.I am eager to hear your thoughts and suggestions.Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

You mean MDSD? Why do that, I can make MDPP with time to spare.Might even make MBGT if you want.

I'd rather do MDSD-MYNN-MYGF-KMYR-KLGA (or KEWR, that scenery is nicer).We don't want to slow down too much, I'd rather wait a few hours in New York and do some shopping there :-)

Jeroen, you can surely get along very quickly. But I'm suggesting that we slow down to allow all our colleagues to participate in the final day--and to be able to see the final legs.Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

OK, diverting to Las Americas (MDSD).Descending now.b.t.w. I'd rather wait for them in New York than somewhere else and see them dash in just before us :-rotor10 minutes out.

Hmmm. Thinking.The MDSD-MYNN leg is 588 nm. And the MYNN-MYGF is only 112 nm.If you'd like KMYR, then great. Let me work on this a bit.Back in a couple of minutes.MikeAnyone else out there?

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Replace MYNN with MUCM. That adds another country (Cuba) to our list.MDSD-MUCM is 500nm, MUCM-MYGF 300.Put in KBQK after MYGF breaking up the leg to Myrtle Beach in two parts as well (300 and 200nm).Doesn't seem to be anyone else so we also have to take into account the possibility that we'll be sitting waiting for pilots...This route we can always remove a stop if needed and take a faster aircraft again (these legs can all be done in 2 hours by a Baron or Golden Eagle so no more need for turboprops unless the competition catches up real fast).

I'm setting up FS to depart from MDSD.Tell where to go with the Cheyenne.Things are going very well!!Johan

Turning on the ILS in about 5 minutes.Go to MUCM.

OK. How about:MDSPMUCM 494 nm Comaguey, Cuba MYNN 218 nm NassauX68 275 nm Kennedy Space Shuttle Port (Special Memorial Service!)KMYR 317 nm Myrtle BeachDoes this sound better? (If there are no pilots available, we can reroute to go more quickly. We can certanly drop Nassau if we are keen to be moving on. But in a couple of hours we may have more of our regulars back.)At Myrtle Beach we can decide whether to go directly to KLGA. Or perhaps visit a good spot with multiple airports (say KDCA-KIAD-KBWI area) for you VATSIMers to fly a joint flight to KLGA.Better?Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

I'll be at MDSD. If I get the baton, we can contineu to talk about routing.MikeAnyone else out there who wants to take this leg?

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1