Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Flat Panel Monitor or CRT....High end system.

Hi all,Had a hard disk go bad this morning, and my system crashed badly. Gateway 1.4 gig Athlon....2 years old. I lost everything that wasn't backed up (many of my payware planes and registration codes weren't backed up). Gateway will replace the hard drive, and I'm just going to sell the system to someone I know. I ordered a Dell 8250 today with all the best pieces. Video card, sound card, etc were all their best or next to best choices. Ordered the 2.80 gig pentium.However....I was told that the new 18 inch Flat screen LCD monitor, when attached to a system like this, will perform very well in Flight Simulation, and that I didn't need to think a CRT would be noticably better.I trust all of your judgments, however, and I would love to hear from some of you who are using the newest LCDs vs the CRTS. I know I've heard that gamers prefer the CRTS, but haven't things changed lately. I really would like to have an LCD provided it gives me the colors and the smoothness of a CRT. Please let me know. Thanks, Stan

Hi Stan! I've had my LCD display for about 6 months now and love it. I definitely don't miss my desk hogging CRT monitor at all. As far as color and smoothness, it is as good as a CRT in my opinion. Of course, the bigger the screen the better. I think an 18" LCD would be great. I have a smaller one but it does the job just fine. It's a shame that I can now by an 18" LCD for the same price I paid for my 15" display 6 months ago. The only disadvantage I have encountered so far is the LCD's aren't compatible with the 3D glasses that have been advertised. Hope this helps,Larry :-wavehttp://www.lagoonline.com/images/430.jpg

Guest Scoobe

Stan,I had a 21" monitor(.21 dot pitch) before which I had for the last 3 years. I loved it and always thought it was far superior than a flat screen. I was very critcal of flat screens because I heard they were slow to respond and had a lot of drawbacks like a limited field of view etc.. Then I finally gave in and bought one. 19" KDS Rad 9, and I love it. Its the best thing I ever bought for my computer. Colors are more vibrant and picture quality is super. Much better than my 21" and the sceen size seems almost the same. Only lost an inch because my 21" was really 20 and the 19" flat is really 19. I would never get anything else at this point. It runs all my games including FS2002 great. Also works great with DVD's. Make sure your video card has digital output. My monitor came with a digital cable, Im not sure if the all do, but you should definatly use it, because it makes a world of difference. Most store that display flat screens don't have the digital cable connected, so your not seeing the monitor in its best picture. Even at work we have some flat screens and they looked bad, but none have a digital cable or video card capable of supporting it.Hope this helps.Rob

Guest Dominique

I am planning to get a new system myself in Q2 and thinking of having a LCD monitor with it too.My own researches lead me to think that performances can vary over quite a large spectrum. I will go for Dell for the main unit as well but am a little wary of the lack of information they give concerning their LCD screens (response time, luminosity, contrast etc.). Not a good omen. I may buy the LCD separately in a shop. Ilyama seems a good choice of a brand. They get a lot of good reviews. Read Tom'Hardware guide for instanceThere was a good thread recently initiated by Bill Grabowski as I recall.Dominique

I've read that flat panel monitors have a lag time of anywhere from 20-50ms before the display is updated. Take this into consideration if you have plans of playing any games other than flight simulator over the internet. Its bad enough we have to put up with net lag, but don't suffer with video lag too.-Matt

tcreagh2Hi Stan...I've observed flat screens and came to the conclusion that there were some real issues when panning, so I went with a Sony Trinitron CPD-G520P, which was expensive, and I am very pleased with the results when using Fs2002...may be big and cumbersome but it works...the flats have a way to go to catch up.Ted CreaghFlight Ontario Team

Stan, I got the Gateway 700XL about 5 months ago, and it came with a 18" flat panel monitor. All I can say is FANTASTIC!!! This monitor is absolutely amazing. In my opinion so far. I have not encountered anything bad with this monitor. It handles FS2K2 great. After using this monitor ever since I have had it I can honestly say that I could not go back to my old CRT.Hope this helps.You might want to try your local PC store ( Best Buy, Circuit City) and check out the ones they have on display.Later,JDUVAL

Thanks so much....I kind of knew that these LCD monitors were getting better, but I wasn't really sure. You've made me feel sooooo much better about this order. Now I can't wait to get it. I look forward to the cool, contemporary design and the space savings benefit. But now I know that it will give me SATISFACTION in flight simulation. That's really all I want! This is really significant news! I'm sure that the new FS coming out in July or so will also be kind to the new flat LCD monitors since THEY REALLY ARE THE FUTURE. Stan

Hi,I'm glad I have a LCD monitor, because now I've enough place on my desk to to use the CH Flightsim Yoke and the Aitec Commanderpad.And ofcourse the screenquality. Not flickering.Cees.

Rob,That's great advice. The video card I ordered is the ATI Radeon 9700 TX with 128 M DDR. It has digital Video In and the 18" LCD is the1800FP with DVO (I think I got that right?) I sure hope the cable comes with the system.If anyone has this combo, I'd be happy to have a heads up. Stan

JDUVAL, I almost bought the Gateway 700XL system. It's a great performer. I went for the Dell only because I had 5 Gateways and I just wanted a change. I think the Dell 8250 and the Gateway 700XL are pretty equal. I saw Gateway's 18" LCD and it looked great! The only thing you can't tell at the Gateway store (we have a Gateway Country Store here in Allentown, Pennsylvania) or at the Best Buys or Circuit Citys is MSFS on the monitor. I saw Need for Speed at Gateway, and it looked quite good. But we all know how DIFFERENT MSFS 2002 is from EVERYTHING else!Thanks again for the positive response. I feel better now. I should get my system on Friday the 28th or the following week. I'll be sure to let the Forum know what I think after a test run. Stan

An LCD Flat is great for a secondary monitor for radio stack, FS Nav and the like but stick with a TUBE for the best performance and nicest eye candy.

Guest nutmeat

I echo some of the other LCD accolades posted herein. I recently changed from a 19" Hi-res Sony Trinitron Flat CRT (which was grreat!!!) to a Samsung 191T (19" LCD) monitor. Flight Sim and other games are wonderfully sharp and bright and there is no noticable lag, except when changing resolutions, as at the end of a game session. Mine runs in digital mode (NVIDIA 41.09 drivers on Windows XP Pro), as well as analog and since the TI4600 has both outputs, I can actually run both monitors from the same card, should I care to.At the current stage of design development, I would not hold back on the purchase of a decent LCD in lieu of a CRT of equal size. Mine came with both the analog and digital cable, as you need to initially start in analog mode on order to get set up for digital, a once only operation.Go For IT!nutmeat

An LCD Flat is great for a secondary monitor for radio stack, FS Nav and the like but stick with a TUBE for the best performance and nicest eye candy.

On the other hand, if you are inclined to load up some FSPs and other things that move suddenly, latency and aftertrails will be an issue and you will want to cough up the dough for a first rate LCD.I am SOOOO fortunate! My lovely Sony GDM-F400 19" .22 grille pitch monitor died after 2y 10m of flawless performance. A word of explanations: after getting the total run around from Sony, telling me they do not make replacement parts for this monitor which sold for every bit of $1,000 when I bought it (ok, I got a deal because Onvia.com shipped me the wrong one, and ended up taking off $200 from their already lowest price of $836 with free shipping!)I finally wrote a letter to the Prez of Sony complaining of their bogus "replacement" with a refurbed monitor of half the quality. One week later, Sony Nat'l cust supp called me at work and asked me how a GDM-F520 21" .22 GP screen would do. I said, sure! It arrive a couple days later and the manufacture date was 6 weeks before it arrived on my door. So i'm thinking it was either new, or arrived somewhere defective and was fixed. In any case, this thing is amazing: Let's see you run FS2002 at 2048 x 1536 x 32 on that 19" LCD! I usually run FS at 1792 x 1344 x 32 as there is not much visual improvement beyond there or 1880 tops. Autopilot text gets a tad small . . .Cheers, Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X