Sign in to follow this  
DAL488

PCS V Speeds are always incorrect

Frankly, this is not a big deal, because during the T/O the FO alwways calls out the V speeds that the FMC computes.However, I am finding that the the FO's PCS typically says V1 160, Vr 165 and I can't remember V2..... The FMC computes speeds in the 130-140 range.It's gotta be something I'm doing wrong with the FMC seup. As soon as I finish the walk-around (yeah, I actually do it using Active Camera), I setup the FMC: re-enter IRS position (cause the FO always puts in KSFO; can't seem to fix that one either...); enter flight number; load my FSbuild FP in the CO route and activate; enter reserve, cruise FL, cost index; enter flap 5 or 15; enter the departure runway. I then sit and wait for the PCS, before entering ZFW and MACTOW.Here are the couple areas where I think the issue may be:1. Should I ALWAYS use a flap 15 T/O? I typically use Flap 5 for <325K lbs and flap 15 for >325K lbs.2. Should I hold off on entering the depature runway?Thanks for any guidance.James

Hello James,1. For the PCS, FS2Crew returns the V-speed information that is fed to it via the Level-D SDK. It's pretty simple. FS2Crew just displays the information it receives.2. What do you mean about holding off on the departure runway?Cheers,Bryan

Well I have to agree with James. I have never gotten the speeds to match, no matter what I do. ?Tero

PPL(A)

Hello Tero,Before the FO hands you the PCS sheet, make sure you have entered the Flap in the FMC.Try entering the ZFW in advance too.Remember, FS2Crew is just returning the information it reads via the Level-D SDK.There is always the possibility that your weight is out of the range that the Level-D 767 FMC/SDK can compute accurate V-Speeds for. So I might suggest lowering your weight.That's just a guess, though.Cheers,Bryan

Bryan:The comment about weight might be valid. I just about always operate with ZFW's in the 255-280K range.I received your e-mail. Next time I fly, I'll report back. Might be a couple days.James

Ok, just did a flaps 15 takeoff with a ZFW of 270.1. Speeds on the PCS were about 20 kts higher than the FMC.My next flight will be empty, with a ZFW in the 240 range. Will report back.James

I just did another test to see if I could reproduce it.The V-Speeds displayed in the PCS are based on the ZFW and Flap entered in the FMC.In fact, if you change the ZFW and Flap value in the FMC while the PCS sheet is open, you can see the numbers change in real time on the PCS.It works for me.http://www.fs2crew.com/pcs.jpg-Bryan

There has to be some kind of magic going on in some systems, because so far I've been unable to get the correct speeds. With the tutorial I always get speeds in excess of 160 kts.Tero

PPL(A)

Yes Bryan I understand that already, but something in the process gets broken because for some users that doesn't work.Tero

PPL(A)

Bryan:Based on your screenshot above, maybe we should be entering the ZFW BEFORE we receive the PCS?I just did a flap 15, ZFW 238.3 T/O and the speeds on the PCS weren't even close to the FMC speeds.But just like you did above, I bet if I kept the PCS open and entered the ZFW in the FMC, the speeds on the PCS would probably change and match up with the FMC.Please confirm, ZFW should be entered before or after receiving the PCS?Thanks Bryan.James

Yes,Enter the ZFW and Flap before you receive the PCS.I'm going to clarify this in the tutorial and manual.When the PCS sheet is open, you're right, you can change the ZFW and FLAP value in real-time in the FMC and see the changes in real-time on the PCS.Cheers,Bryan