Sign in to follow this  
lauderj

60% N1 event and RTO/MAP procedure

I would just like to take this opportunity to tell you guys at FS2Crew how much I've enjoyed all 3 of your products (737NG, ATR and the 767LDS). They make flight simming an new experience. I do have a couple of issues and perhaps you can tell me what I might be doing wrong. When lining up on the runway (before takeoff checklist has been executed) I will click on the RTO review on the briefing panel as directed to in the manual. As the last couple of words of the RTO review are spoken, the captain calls for 60% N1. This is without me hitting the MAIN button. When it first occured, I thought I must have pressed it by mistake but it is occuring everytime when I press on the RTO review. It's a little embarassing to be taking off prior to getting clearence from the tower he he. Not sure what's causing this and have not seen any reference to this in the forum so it must be something I am doing wrong. If you have any suggestions, I would be much obliged.Also, regarding the actual RTO and missed approach procedure. It seems as if the program does not "loop" back to the correct mode after execution of these. I know on an RTO, that you just apparently have to taxi back to the runway and manually execute a takeoff before the program "kicks in" again. A missed approach seems to be similar situation. Once you go past the flaps calls on the initial approach you cannot go back to them on the second approach ... you're manual at this point until landing. Last night, after a missed approach, I thought I would try clicking on the approach briefing again and get the program to cycle back to approach mode but that seemed to have no effect. I suspect that the post RTO and MAP situations may be missing functionality at this point in the program's development .... is that a valid statement?Again, much enjoy this product and can't wait for your next invention ... I'll vote for a 747 product even if it has to use the 737NG like user interface. It's really not that bad an interface ... in someways I like it better than the 767/ATR interface.Jerry Lauderbaugh

Hello Jerry,I'm glad to hear you like FS2Crew.1. You probably hit the MAIN BUTTON one more time than necessary. After running the Before TO checklist, make sure you hit the Main Button to ask the FO to have the cabin seated for departure.After doing that, do not hit the main button again until you're ready to ask the FO to set 60 percent.2. RTO's are not yet modelled.3. MAP's: I'm not sure what part is being missed, but MAPs definately are modelled as I've done a 100 of them. You're completing the After Takeoff Checklist in the MAP, right?Also, make sure you're not rebriefing for the STAR for the 2nd approach. That could be it.-Bryan

Bryan,Thanks for that quick reply. I'll check carefully what I am doing on the runway line-up process. I could very well be hitting the main button one time too many before the RTO review.On the MAP question, I bet it might be the after T/O checklist that I didn't do. I run through that again tonight.Thanks again Bryan!Jerry Lauderbaugh

Guest Paul Heaney

Just take it slow, follow the tutorial to the letter (Until you get the hang of it) and you'll do fine. If I follow those instructions, it runs perfect, except for the ZFW Data Being entered BEFORE the PCS, but Bryan has already stated he's fixing that for the next Service Pack.

Jerry:I think a possible solution to your RTO/60% N1 issue might be even simpler: after your press the main button to seat the cabin, you initiate the RTO Review by pressing the secondary button (the only time you click the RTO Review on the T/O Brief pop-up panel is if pressing the secondary button did NOT work). Then, after receiving T/O clearance, you press the main button to make the 60% N1 call.James

Hi Paul,That's not a code fix.That's just a slight clarification in the manual so it's made more clear that the ZFW and Flaps needs to be entered in the FMC in order to get accurate V Speeds in the PCS.Cheers,Bryan

Guest Paul Heaney

Sorry Bryan, that's exactly what I meant, I guess I worded it wrong. I meant you were fixing the manual to reflect that.

james,Thanks for that tip. As it turns out, what I was doing was performing the RTO review BEFORE doing the main button for requesting the cabin to be seated. Thanks again!Jerry

>3. MAP's: I'm not sure what part is being missed, but MAPs>definately are modelled as I've done a 100 of them. >Hi BryanI have a strange feeling that this might have been asked before, but was it not so that technically Missed Approaches are not modelled, but Go-Arounds are?The difference is that to perform a go-around you need to be in full landing configuration with the landing checklist completed. If you discontinue the approach earlier, the FO will not work for you before you're back in the same config you left off from.If you're planning on adding any functionality later on, hope this RTO/MAP thing is on the list, as it lead to a confusing situation on a vatsim flight once :-)

Well yes, to be really correct about it according to the ATPL theory syllabus, a missed approach is a go-around from at or above DH/MAP, and the required climb gradients from that point are calculated with approach flap set and the gear retracted, where a "baulked landing" would be from below the DH, possibly in the flare, and the assumed configuration is (quite naturally) full landing config with the gear down.A minor difference between the two performance wise, but in FS2Crew it makes the mentioned procedural difference :-)Thanks for your time.

True, but JAA ATPL theory exams can't be "flown thru" either (gasp) :-)