Sign in to follow this  
Stefano

What to do after a MAP?

Hi everyone,after the great ATR edition I was really curious about the 767 edition... Well, this is really fantastic, congrats Bryan!Yesterday I was flying the tutorial and everything went fine since the approach... I was way out of the G/S so I declared a GoAround. A quick look at the manual and I was able to accomplish it without any pain and I was holding in the pattern with the after takeoff checklist accomplished.Since I found no fs2crew documentation on what to do after a MAP, I proceeded in my usual way, reloading the ILS APPR in the FMC, proceeding with vectors and slowing down the aircraft and deploying flaps myself. Suddenly when I was on base the fs2crew FO kicked in again starting to retire flaps (he would them at 5 but I was already at 20!)... After a quick fight :) we agreed for the flaps 20 and then 30, and I was able to land. The FO performed all his calls and all his after landing checklists and workflows, and the flight ended as expected.The question is: what I need to do after a MAP to instruct fs2crew for another approach/landing? I've already seen a previous thread started by Jerry Lauderbaugh on this topic, but I think that keeping a separate post in where to discuss this single question is more clear for people searching for help.Thanks in advanceStefano

Hello Stefano,Thank you for the kind words :-)After the MAP (that is, after the After Takeoff Checks have been completed) everything is exactly the same as normal approach.The important thing is this: Do not rebrief STAR.Basically after the After Takeoff Checks have been completed, you'd run the Approach Checks again using the Main Button, then you'd fly the approach the same way you did the first time.Why are you deploying flaps yourself? You need to command the FO to bring out the flaps, just as you would on your first approach. That's probably the source of the trouble you had. You confused the FO by trying to do his job.Hope that helps,Bryan

Hi Bryan,thanks for your reply.In my first post I forgot to mention a couple of things: although I'm not 100% sure, I started my goaround at more than 400ft above the runway elevation (around 1000ft I believe). The manual states that this kind of situation can lead to some spurious call, but in my case everything went fine until the "After takeoff checklist completed" call. AFAICR I have not rebriefed the STAR, but again I'm not 100% sure. Another thing that I forgot to mention is while I was vectored at 3000ft for the new approach I tried to call the Approach checklist (or Flaps1) by hitting the main button, but nothing happened. This is the reason why I have deployed the flaps by myself.For sure I have not re-performed this step:"On base, ask the FO to set raw data on his side. Do this byopening the FO Commands Panel and selecting RAW DATA". I have done that in the first approach only.Is this step that would have instructed FS2crew to execute the Approach checklist at the next main button press?CiaoStefano

Hello Stefano,Just try it again. It sounds like you did everything basically right, but it's hard to guess what part you missed.Asking the FO to set Raw Data on his side would not cause any problems. That would not adversly affect any logic.Cheers,Bryan