Sign in to follow this  
Chris Willis BAW976

Push back procedural questions

Hello Skyhog,I don't know if I will ever do a factory run for the 767 Edition with a fancy box and label. I much prefer to do everything by download.However, I just posted a new (pinned) thread on top explaining how the new CD burning service works. It's very similar to the service offered by Simmarket.It's not the preferred method for me because it takes precious time away from more important things in my daily schedule, but it can be done if absolutely necessary.Cheers,Bryan

Guest skyhog

Hi BryanI just got a tip last night about a program called FlashGet. It's adownloader and organizer for downloads. It claims to speed up a download by downloading several sectors at a time. The folks using it swear by it. Just wonder if the file integrety will not getcorrupted. What do you think? I would rather have you working on something new instead of burningCD's.Cheers

Hi Skyhog,I can't speak for FlashGet, but if you're on dial-up you're still on dial-up. Don't expect miracles.Personally if you don't want to use the CD service, I'd just download the main file on a friends computer and burn it to CD, then copy it to your computer.Cheers,Bryan

Hi SkyhogFrom my days on dial-up I can recall using FlashGet - it worked very well but the alleged acceleration wasn't much -. It DID allow me to do partial downloads and then resume - a real bonus as I had a 2 hour time out on my ISP - grrr - bad old days. I think my largest download was Ultimate Traffic - something in the region of 200Mb :( - I forget how long it took now.btw - I still use FlashGet - it's very useful for stacking up multiple downloads.

Guest skyhog

Thanks for the info Graham, I remember downloading the ATR edition and I was only getting 2kbps and it took me three days on & off. Thena couple of months later we lost our phones at home. The phone company found a problem up the road and now I can get on average 5kbps. I guess I'll have to download the 767 files after the updatecomes out.lolCheers

LOL - poor Chris.As Bryan says - the Brit set is almost finished. Apologies for the delay but after my wife and I recorded a set, then Chris joined me and we did another set which seemed a lot better imo. The delay has been in getting 'volunteers' to fill the other roles. I've been waiting quite a while for some of them which has set things back a bit. Hopefully the wait will have been worthwhile.