Sign in to follow this  
Coryb

St Elmos fire

Hi Bryan,During a flight last night, I was entertained to a display of st elmos fire as I commenced my descent (from FL390). Weather conditions were perfect for flying (CAVOK with cloudless conditions)The display started as I selected the TOD cabin address and was then continuous until I eventually shut fs9 down after completing the flight. I am sure that is not right and am raising the point just incase you may have had similar reports from others.Is tbere any way of shutting the effect off in flight. Complicates vision during the landing!Brian(Cheltenham UK)

Brian, the Update info pdf says that you can turn off the effect by turning the Autobrake switch to RTO. Should help.

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Hi Tord and Bryan,Thanks for the prompt replies. I will download and install the public version.Sorry to have missed the "shut off" point in the manual, I thought that I had read it pretty well. Just goes to show! Put it down to old age!Thanks for your help and one super programme.All the best,Brian(Cheltenham UK)

Guest mikeforum

Hi BryanFirst of all, thanks for this great product!!I installed the public version of Update 1, and I have the same problem. Just after announcing TOD, St. Elmo's effect is triggered.This issue is reproducible in several flights, with perfect weather.I am using ActiveSky if it helps.I just switched it off with RTO, so not a big deal, but I guess there might be something weird.Best regardsMiguel

Hello Miguel,Thanks for the kind words.FS2Crew is reading the FSUIPC offsets for the Thunderstorm coverage and the thunderstorm ceiling, and using those, among other things, as conditions used to determine if the Elmo effect will run.I am not sure if Active Sky somehow changes these values. I'll have to get more info and see.Cheers,Bryan

Guest Bud

Hello BryanI tried the u/d for the first time yesterday. I got the St Elmos effect about half way in the cruise phase although the wx was fairly clear. I tried the flight again, this time without any weather at all - completely clear. Again I got the St E. effect. Doesn't seem right.Actually also on the second flight, just before the effect appeared I also got the ground crew voices telling me all was clear and I could start my engines. I'll try this flight again later to see if I can reproduce this.Bud

Guest Bud

Hello BryanJust repeated yesterday's flight - same thing happened at 23 nms from TOD got St Elmo and then ground crew voices. V. oddBud

Hello Bud,Don't do the "B & D Check" from the FO Commands Page.That will trigger the Elmo effect. I'll have to issue an Update 1.1.Don't know how that slipped through the Beta screen. As for the Ground Voices... That I can't reproduce. What did the Ground Voice say?Bryan

Guest mikeforum

Hi Bryan,Yes it is the B&D Check that triggers the Elmo effect. Nothing to do with weather add-ons.As usual, thanks a lot for your quick answers and I am sure we will see an update very soon.Keep it up.CheersMiguel

Guest Bud

Hello BryanMany thanks. As to the Ground Crew voice I didn't have time to note it exactly, in part it contained the phrase 'cleared to start'. I suppose it won't matter too much now if the u/d covers this.Bud

Okaaaaaaaaay,The million dollar questions, since the reported problem with St. Elmos in clear air, the bolstering of the code that "could" have caused that, and the discovery of the real root cause of the clear air SE issue (an accidential B&D trigger), and the issue of update 1 to correct the B and D trigger.Has anyone seen any St. Elmos?ChrisP.S. yes I have posted this twice!!