Sign in to follow this  

#9 Avsim vs FlightSim RTW Race Thread #9 The final run

I'm just past CVI VOR, following the coast to New York (more or less).Doing 400 knots groundspeed at FL350 (that's at 50% power too).

Guest Marc Sykes

Shouldn't we be using odd-numbered altitudes on a west-to-east flight? I've decided to climb to FL210 and push it a bit.Update: 1514Z, 40 knots southwest of RDU. ETA at KLGA probably about 1640Z, if conditions are favorable.MarcPWA3007 on VATSIM

Good to be flying with you guys.Marc, Jeroen is the "live" flight. He's on VATSIM as TCA2887. You can see him ahead--in the speeding Starship.1518Z. FL350 Passing over CVI. GS 390.1523Z KLGA still looks pretty nasty.1607Z Descending. CYN.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

If you stay below 1100 ft over the water areas, like the Hudson and East Rivers, you are in uncontrolled airspace and are free to fly just about anywhere in that area. And before to overfly bridges at the center of the span.Don't overfly any land (It's all class :( then you have to talk to ATC.Don't fly west of the Statue of Liberty though, you'll run into Newark Liberty's airspaceCheers :)Woodreau

Uh Oh, Jeroen, holding for KLGA at ZDC now. From the FAA web site:DELAY INFO ARPT AD DD TIME REASON CLT +15 1440 TSTMS LGA +15 1432 WX/LOW CIGS. ZDC HOLDING Good Luck!Best,GeraldKMLB

We started on the final leg to La Guardia about 40 minutes ago. I'm now halfway there.At La Guardia we wait for team fs.com to arrive (they're about 2500nm from land over the Pacific so this will take a while yet).From La Guardia the entire circus will move to Boston in a large groupflight, overwhelming whatever controller dares to be online in the sector.That last flight you will lead from takeoff to landing so better be awake then :-lolI hope to be able to make it too, depends on when it will be.

Marc,knots is a measure of speed, (nautical miles per hours)miles is a measure of distance, and since we're all (sim)aviators we know you're talking about nautical miles instead of statue miles (land mines :) oops I mean miles).so you're really 40 miles sw of RDU :)Cheers :)I've got one hour to go to get to LGA, but I won't make it as I have to leave to go fly to KSBA for the day for real. :( Good luck and have fun guys. I'll check back later to see about the KLGA/KBOS.Cheers :)Woodreau

Guest Marc Sykes

I didn't know that. Thanks!Well, anyway, I'm ascending to FL330 in order to push up my speed--should be able to get maybe 360-370 knots.Position update: currently 50 *miles* sw of Richmond. From there straight to PXT to join the MINKS2 arrival. Hope to see you guys there. Current ETA 1635Z or so.Also going to try to attach my first ever screenshot--this is my trusty Delaware EMB-120 heading up above the clouds leaving KMYR. I love this plane--so stable, can handle anything I throw at it.Marc

Descending. Cloud tops towering in access of FL300 in places. Weather report KLGA 221140Z 221212 08003KT 1SM -RA BR SCT002 OVC005 TEMPO 1216 1/2SM RA FG VV002

Well, at least the runway won't be cluttered with that NYC traffic. :-hah

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Guest Marc Sykes

It's over!! Jeroen just landed a couple of minutes ago. There are a few other guys ahead of me, too. I'm still just west of Wilmington, about to descend to 13,000.Marc

Landed safely if pretty scared at La Guardia. Crosswind, clouds bottoming at at 400ft, slightly off center and too high on the ILS, but I made it down in one try and softly.While shutting down, FS froze solid. I just had time to grab a screenshot...

Guest dcc

congrats team avsim!!!I'm afraid I'm going to have to divert due to weather:KLGA 221416Z 06008KT 1/2SM -RA FG BKN006 OVC015 01/01 A2984 RMK AO2 P0004 I don't have all the modern avionics aboard my plane (flying XP-38 today) so I'm heading west ...- dcc