Sign in to follow this  
Guest ucanfly

I hope the FSD Commander comes out soon........

After LONG negotiations with the wife, it has been decided that I am allowed to buy 2 items for my birthday this coming week. I am going to buy another payware aircraft but I am going to have to t decide between the DF Cardinal and the FSD Commander. I like the way the FSD Commander looks (I have always liked the Commander!!) but the Cardinal is available now :-lol One of my birthday gifts is IL-2 Forgotten Battles (so there is one gift right there!) then I have to decide between the FSD Commander and the DF Cardinal.....arghh!!!FSD release the Commander SOON!!!!!! It's going to be my b-day!! :)Shane

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Guest gasebah

I don't know what u all are negotiating for guys. After all it is ur money. I stick to Rummy Rumsfeld what has to be done has to be done. Other opinions are either irrelevant or form the "old" wife.:-)Alex

Guest Staalplaat

Hi Shane,So may a be the first to wish you a happy birthday. Well, I know I'm a bit early but I do it anyway :D. Let me help to make a choise between those two. First off all, I do own the Cardinal but I do not own the Commander. Hard for me to say anything about it.About the Cardinal, I love the plane. Or actually, you'll get two! A RG version and the fixed gear version, the RG is a bonus from DF! It's a lovely little plane wich flies really smooth. Also, it has all the eyecandy you can wish for. A major set-back for me is it's slow speed. I like to take it just for small VFR hops.BUT... !!!!! An other plane recently changed my flightsimming experience COMPLETELY! Let me say that I bought a lot of payware adons and all planes I bought I really like. The SF 260, the Cardinal, the Flight One C421 and lots of others, including the famous PIC 767 and DF734. I like 'em all but the one that has it all is..... :-jumpy Flight One's Meridian :-jumpyThe Meridian has the smoothest instrumentation you've ever seen in a FS2K2 plane. The way you can land this baby with use of ILS is to be seen. Smooth reaction of the ADI, HSI, no more "jumpy" ILS indicators. And I haven't even started about the Garmin 450 yet! It may be a bit expensive, $30 for the download version but since I bought it last week I haven't touched ANY OTHER plane. (no no no, Flight One doesn't pay me for this!!!)Good luck making your choise!Regards, Lennart

I sympathize. I have the Cardinals AND the Commander. I am told I can get the GMAX Commander for a small additional charge. I had been waiting for a long time for the FSD Porter but have overspent my budget in the meanwhile. Each plane has its virtues. The Commander looks sharp, is fast, and has that neat navigational display. The Cardinal is a more complex plane with better graphics. I probably fly the Cardinals more than the Commander.Money and priorities for spending it are problems faced by any couple that truly cares about their marriage, and as much as I love simming it is still only a pasttime. Do not overlook another possibility: Bill and Lynne Lyons' vintage plane collections from Golden Eagles. For what you would pay for the Commander you could get 2 planes (I recommend especially the Swift and the Tiger Moth). You will not have all the new bells and whistles but you will have a ball flying them. If you just HAVE to have a modern plane, then I would have to go with the Cardinals.

Guest DaveKDEN

Milton's is to be the twin engine Rockwell Commander. The FSD version is the single engine Commander 115TC. Both very nice aircraft, but distinctly different from each other. Though I certainly like the price of Milton and team's ;-)PS; I bought the FSD Commander 115TC when it first came out. It is still a wonderful design, and with the pending G-Max release, I'm sure it'll get even better. I plan on buying the "upgrade" to update my current FSDS version.

I have always liked the DF Cardinal. I almost bought it a few weeks ago but ended up buying the SF.260 (:)Shane

Ark

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Thx for the link Dave :)The first time I saw it I thought it was already out because I saw a few people making liveries for it, lol (they must have been beta testers).I hope it comes out soon, I really want it :)Shane

Ark

Shane,Happy birthday!!I do love the DF Cardinal, just installed the Garmin XP 530 avionics in it ... and now it is even better ... BUT as mentioned above ... great for local flying because it is a slow plane ... but really wonderful plane to fly.If I had only a limited budget, I would not hesitate to buy the MERIDIAN ... before the Cardinal or Commander (which I do not have) honestly it is a $100+ piece of software for $30. The avionics alone are worth the price ... but here you have a GA aircraft with the most advanced avionics available, can fly at FL250 at 250kts ... quite amazing. I am not a GA fan, and don't fly GA very often, but all I have flown in the past week or so since I got the MERIDIAN ... is the MERIDIAN ... there is NOTHING .. absolutely NOTHING .. jet, regional or GA which compares.Seriously ... this is the ONE to get!!!!!Happy choices, and

Guest Moghdad

Another payware GA plane to consider is the Carenado Piper Dakota. It is pretty fast for a fixed-gear aircraft(140 kts), looks fantastic, and has the smoothest, most responsive flight model of ANY FS model I have ever purchased, without exception. It is also only $17.The SF.250 is very nice as well. It is good looking and does tricks, but has a tendency to swerve wildly on the runway that isn't very realistic and kills some of the fun for me. Also, I couldn't get used to flying in the right seat!The Cardinal has a nicely designed cockpit but produces somewhat lower frame rates, on my system anyway. I have also found some anomalous flight characteristics, for example a tendency to rock left and right slightly, almost as if there were free play in the aileron cables. Perhaps it was my controllers, but I wasn't able to adjust it away and so gave up flying the Cardinal.I own the FSD Commander but don't fly it because I am too in love with the eye candy aspect of FS, an area in which the Commander cannot compete. I will consider purchasing the GMax update.The Meridian is getting great reviews from its purchasers, but be aware that not all systems can handle it. In the end I returned it because I could not get decent frame rates on my P4 1.8 G system without making painful compromises on settings (graphics, AI-traffic, etc.). However I can't say enough good things about Flight1 customer service. They refunded my money immediately and without question. So you risk nothing by trying the Meridian, and perhaps it will work well for you. I will definitely consider repurchasing it when I upgrade.If you like vintage tail draggers, you might consider Bill and Lynn Lyons' Globe Swift. The model is nicely done and you get four different versions for a low price. It is more for local flight, however.Carenado has produced some nice Bonanzas, both the F33 and V35 variants. They are beautiful, fly extremely well and make excellent touring aircraft. I have flown all over the virtual US in the lovely red-and-white V35! Like all Carenado models they are less expensive than average. The 2 and 3D cockpits are not cutting edge but are very serviceable.If you are into smaller, slower aircraft, both Carenado and Flight1/Dreamfleets have produced versions of the Piper Archer II. Both are nice in different ways, but I would give preference to the F1/DF model overall. However the Carenado is less expensive.My top pick and current favorite: the Carenado Dakota.Good luck and happy birthday!

Thanks for all the comments guys :)My b-day is the 26th of this month (not quite yet)...I call it strategic planning :-lolI have been looking at the Piper Meridian VERY closely and it seems like an awesome aircraft! Kind of a balance between GA and business jet.With how well the 29.42 drivers are working on my computer I'm pretty sure the Meridian would work pretty good.Once again, thanks!Keep adding comments/thoughts if you'd like :) :)Shane

Ark

Guest simnut

Do yourself a favor, you and my fellow simmers listen up!!! Wait for Milton's Commander to be released, it promises to be one of the BEST freeware aircraft available and well worth the wait.(A little birdie told me so!)Harry