Sign in to follow this  
JimmiG

Win XP Home vs. Pro Networking

I just upgraded to a new system with Win XP Home. My previous system has Win XP Pro and will be delegated to support for WideFs, etc. In addition, there are two other e-machine systems for left/right front views. All four are networked. I have just learned that I can't move files to the new Win XP home version if they are going to My Computer or Program Files. Is this due to Home vs. Pro version ? I have the Win XP Pro upgrade, but I recall that once it is installed on one system, that is it, and you must run out and buy another version unless something can be worked out with Microsoft. Not sure if all or any of this is true ? Any guidance is much appreciated.

Guest lmoelleb

The Program Files directory contain - well, programs. When a program is installed, it can add registry keys (both simple stuff as Flight Simulator is doing and more complex things like registering COM componets - no, you don't need to know what this is, you just need to know that the program won't run if it's not done).If you simply move the files from one computer to another, these additional steps are not performed, and the program might not run. Often you can get away with installing the program (for example FS) on the new computer, then copy all the files from your old computer on top of it - this way the regisstry keys will be in place, but you will also have all the addons you have installed.It has nothing to do with the differences between Home and Pro - Windows XP Home is simply a crippled Windows XP Pro, which is a crippled Windows .Net server etc - they remove features as they drop the price. The most noticebale difference between Home and Pro is that Home will not log into a network domain, and I think it might also support one CPU only, but I am not sure of that.Every single file on your computer is under the "My Computer" level (well, it kind of says so in the name), hence you can not give any generic rule about moving files.Both Windows XP Pro and Home contains a system only allowing them to run on one computer. But unless you have a domain controller or a multiprocessor system, there should be no need to upgrade to Pro.

"I have just learned that I can't move files to the new Win XP home version if they are going to My Computer or Program Files. Is this due to Home vs. Pro version ? "I'm not quite sure what you mean with "can't move files". What happens when you try to move them? What kind of files are you trying to move?

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP