Sign in to follow this  

New video card now I am broke and grounded

Werd upI just got my bran new PNY Verto Geforce 4 Ti4200. When I install it should I install off the CD or go directly to NVidias site and download the latest drivers ??

It's probably safe to say the drivers on the CD will have been superceded by newer ones, so if you want the latest drivers for your card, grab them from the Nvidia site.I usually go with the drivers from the CD when I first install a card, just to make sure everything is working as it should before introducing any unknowns in the form of new drivers.When I'm happy everything is OK with the card, I then install newer drivers if any are available.Hope this helps!

I'd agree. Absolutely install the "factory" drivers from the CD first. That way if anything isn't working quite right you won't have to worry whether or not it's the Detonator drivers that are the problem. And since 29.42 was the first full-support version for the GF4, the CD-provided drivers shouldn't be that old anyway.TripEdited 'cause I still can't spel

The CD drivers were 41.09 and slow they are, running the 42.72 right now, what drivers do you RECOMMEND and seem to have the best performance with?

I just put in a new Ti4600 8x. My computer says everything is working properly however I'm seeing ZERO, and I do mean Zero increase in performance over my old card which was a GForce 2 32mg. card. I uninstalled the old drivers before putting the new ones in (even though it says I don't need to) and reinstalled directX 9.0. For the life of me I can't figure out why this isn't working. Anyone have gone thru a similiar situation? Any help would be greatly appreciated. PS I know this probably belongs over in the Hardware forum but this one has much more traffic. Thanks

OBTW I forgot to mention, I'm running Windows 98SE on a P4 1700 with 512mgs ddr ram.

Shane - Drivers are sometimes a bit system-specific. Some work well on some systems and not so well on others. It'll probably take a little bit of experimentation to find what you like. Three that I could recommend for trying are 29.42, 30.82, and 42.01. I'm also using a 4200 and I've had good luck with all of them.Trip

I think it partly depends on how one defines "performance". If the measurement is only FPS, I wouldn't expect to see much, if any, difference with a CPU below 2+Ghz. But another way to look at performance is the improvement in the quality of the rendering. I'd venture a guess that things look quite a bit better with the GF4. Not to mention the further rendering improvements you can get from FSAA at higher resolutions and additional anisotropic filtering. What, exactly isn't working as it should? Maybe there is a setting, or two, that can be adjusted.Trip

I just got the Ti4200 128meg card from Asus and it came with the 31.40 drivers. To this point I am more than satisfied with them. Framerate is locked on 22 with sliders at max including AI aircraft at 100% with the exception of autogen scenery which I find useless and set to zero and the details are superb. Dell P4 1.3Asus Ti4200 128640 DRRAM18 Gig HDDWin MeSoundBlaster PCI64

Thanks for the reply Trip. To answer your question of "defining performance", the clarity of the picture has not improved at all, in fact if anything its poorer than it was with the G2 card. Some of my 3d panels now don't have any texture, only gauges, especially the DF Cardinal. I figure maybe this just needs some tuning. My main concern is that I spent 275 bucks for this card and if someone switched my old and new cards in and out without telling me I'd never be able to tell the difference for sure. Either its not working properly, or my expectations were way too high. I also race online with Nascar 2003, and I get the same results over there,,, none. What are some of these settings to switch that you mentioned? Thanks

Guest kilo_sierra17

When I got my new 4200, the drivers on the CD were 40.72, installed those and perforamnce was horrible with them, I had better frames with my GeForce 3. Went to Nvidia's site, got the 40.72's from there site, performance doubled, I would go with the 40.72's.

I am trying out the 42.01's right now, did try the 40.72 and it didnt seem to work very good, waiting to see what Paul has to say about this.

FS has trouble recognising new hardware. Rename the FS2002.cfg file and then reboot the sim. A new default FS2002.cfg will be created and you can then tweak from there, copying the old .cfg settings if needed.ChasW