Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Re-install

Hi all,To cut a long story short I've just suffered a major system crash that means I'm going to have to format and reinstall FS and all of my extra scenery, aircraft etc. So I decided that while this was down I would upgrade a few things now rather than later and also go up to XP.Really all I want to know is if anyone can give me any tips or information I might need to know when running FS with XP and if there are any problems with installing any sceneries that run a DOS file, I'm thinking mainly of Gary Summon's UK2000 scenery, also is it possible to run scasm in XP as I understand that it no longer supports DOS, although I may have gotten this wrong.Many thanks in advance,Phil

I don't think you'll have any problems with sceneries Phil. I've installed all of the UK2000 scenery, and other "DOS box" addons, using WinXP without incident. (I don't know about SCASM with XP as I've never tried it).Trip

SCASM works fine with WinXP. I have had little to no problems running any programs with WinXP.If you think you might have some very old dos/windows programs that will not run with WinXP, make your computer a dual boot installing your Win98/ME first to the C: drive then WinXP to a different partition.Microsoft provides a Step-by-step or visit http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/reviews/winxp/

Thanks for the replies guys, one thing I forgot to ask, would you recommend service pack 1 with XP or not bother with it, some seem to say it helps, others seem to have problems, what issues does it address?Phil

Yes, I definitely recommend WinXP SP1 and any pre-SP2 updates on the Mircrosoft Update Website. If you have high speed modem capability, I recommend you download the entire 138MB SP1, WRITE it to a CD for future use or purchase the SP1 CD $10 from Microsoft. You can also use the Microsoft Update website to install SP1, but I don't like that large of modification going on, especially if you have dialup service.SP1 provides all the updates that were on the Microsoft Update website since the release of WinXP and those updates not on the website when SP1 was released.I would install all the updates to the OS prior to installing any updated graphics adapter drivers. I would also update the drivers for the computer controller chips to ensure the latest are being used.

I'm afraid you've got me beat with the computer controller chip drivers, which ones do you mean please and where would I find them?

Just been to the XP site to download service pack 1 and they are now up to pack 1a, this doesn't include support for Microsoft VM, do I need this for any reason and if so, any ideas where I can get hold of pack 1 please?Phil

I wouldn't worry about VM at the moment. Just get the 138MB file and cut to a cd for later use.I would need more information about your computer to tell you which controller chips you may have. Generally, they are VIA, Intel, SiS, AMD, ALi. If you computer still works, open device manager and double click on system devices. You will see things like:Intel 82371....Via PCI to AGP...SiS .......That should tell you what controller chips you need.VM part of SP1 has to do with the Microsoft Court case settlement with Sun Microsystems. Microsoft removed the Java part. This can create a problem with Java scripts. On the download page, there is a read more about Java.