Sign in to follow this  

#10 AVSIM vs FlightSim RTW Race Thread #10. Summary.

Guest Matt Johnson

And the last few for Team FlightSim:[pre]SPUR SKCL MPEJ SKPV MUVR KCHS KLGA[/pre]--M

Guest Marc Sykes

Update: 60 minutes to go. Just passed Norfolk, VA. ETA 1820EST, 2320Z. Again, feel free to come join us, either flying or just hang out at LGA and get ready for the Boston run (is it happening tonight??) Multiplayer 24.161.90.220.Marc

Hi Guys, Here are my thoughts about the next race: I also think that we should wait a few days for people to plan the race.About the aircrafts, i thing that should be allowed anything with props, no jets... the piston prop only idea is not bad, but it's limits us very much... most of the modern planes are turbo prop or single engine piston, so this would force us to go even slower... (yes, i'm also a jet fan).I think that the cities and/or countries is very nice, but do you really want to take away from us the planning part ?? If we have a predetermined flight to make, part of the fun goes away... I guess that we could be forced to visit each and every country, but leaving the immidiate planning to the flyer, or to be discussed "as it happens" on the forums... this would get more people and fun involved, i guess...For the rest the idea is fine and i will look forward to be a part of this team again... RegardsFrancisco Leit

All,First of all, congratulations on becomming the first team to win what will undoubtedly in the future become a truly historic race. For a group of committed and skilled aviators from across the globe to come together with heart-felt passion and deep determination to achieve this common goal, teaches us all an important lesson, anything and everything is indeed possible.As I'm sure we all agree, over the next few years there will be many race formats between sites, from city to city or point to point, however the simplicity of the RTW format I believe will lead it to become the standard against which all other challenges will be measured.In as much as the RTW will slowly become the one to win, you have all become heroes for the future, the winners of the first ever global race between sites. As the internet grows and matures, as familiar faces come and go, it wil go down in legend that it was Team AVSIM that did it first!May the RTW Challenge go on to greater things. May we all come together during the springtime of futures years as in this year, to fight for the right to call ourselves victors. And may the glory of having won the RTW trophy pass to others who follow your footsteps, conquering doubt and uncertainty in the realm of the unknown.http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/image...age/296-610.jpgTornado WilkesRTW Challenge

Tornado,Abolutely cool concept. :-kewlI'm sure that I can speak for all the members of Team AVSIM that, come Valentine's Day 2004, we shall return to defend the Annual RTW Challenge Trophy! :-shyMike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Guest Marc Sykes

Just to let everyone know, I, carrying the FlightSim baton, arrived at La Guardia at 1820 EST, 2320 Z. Much fun.When's the Boston flight happening??Marc

Nice Race guys! While I frequent each equally, I know over the years I've gotten many more downloads from Flighsim.com! So I flew for them. :D Oh well! The rules were cool...more of you need to discover Warbirds! DCC created any awesome P-38's that were well suited to the job...up to 400kts plus when needed, and the H model with 310 Gallon drops can make 1500 miles easy....2K maybe with good engine/fuel managment at 300+.... I flew the last leg in a Reno Mustang...Fast (was a late start, wanted to catch others) and still pretty good range with the Stangs large internal tanks...and 400+ is easy....Till next time!Cheers!

Yeps, I'd also like to know when the final lap is gonna be... I'm ready at KLGA... will it be today ? I'm asking because it's becoming late for us european guys (well, for most of them it's too late already).Again, will it be today, or rearranged for some more convenient time ?RegardsFrancisco Leit

Guest Marc Sykes

Just a few comments:For the most part, I like this idea a lot. I'm really looking forward to seeing some of these cities.I feel very strongly that it should NOT be a fixed route thing. If you look back over the logs, more of the discussion focused on route planning than any other single issue. That seems to me to be one of the key strategic elements; if you lose it, you're left with which team can pass the baton quicker, and which team has faster planes. Why not add in a third (and to my mind much more interesting) variable? This race was a good example of how a contest like this can be won or lost based on flight planning--AVSIM should have lost for going east-to-west, but then FlightSim lost by deciding to skip South America and then having to change their route in order to hit it.My feeling, in fact, was that we should play that up even more, which is why I proposed the idea of giving a list of a large number of cities (I think I had 43 on my list) of which you must only visit, say, 20. You'd see the two teams most likely go off in completely different directions at the start and it would be very difficult to tell who was ahead until the end. In a fixed-route race, you always know who's ahead, and that's pretty boring, especially if one team jumps out to a really commanding lead and the race is "over" halfway through.Regarding planes, I'm kind of torn. If you guys really want to hit 100+ cities, maybe we should allow some jets, otherwise we might not live long enough to see the end of all this. I'd like to see some regulation of what planes can be chosen, though, because especially when we're dealing with downloaded stuff, there's really no telling what's realism and what's fantasy. I mean, I can go download a flying shoe and take that out for a spin, but I really think we should strive for something better than that.I also don't really think it would take that much away from the race we've just had to have another one soon. I see that reasoning, in fact, as kind of silly: "We just had a great time!! So good that we're not going to let ourselves do it again for another year!!" I do agree with having the annual RTW race, and maybe that can be the big one, and there will be other smaller ones, but in my mind, anyone who wants to plan and execute a race should be encouraged. There were a whole bunch of us who cottoned on to this partway through and didn't really get a chance to fly, at least not until the end, so it only makes sense to capitalize on that interest and give those folks a shot.Anyway, I'm more than willing to help plan this out. Ideally we probably need four or five people to get together and establish the rules--one person doing it probably won't really work anymore, but leaving it in the forums will likely just result in endless argument/discussion.Regards,Marc

We're departing LGA in 25 minutes at 8 PM EST.Avsim team members: come onto VATSIM and assemble at the end of runway 31 by 7:55 for an ontime departure.Lets bring this puppy home!!!Who wants the baton?

Route: Direct KLGA->KBOS via gps.No real time is imposed on this leg so you can enjoy the scenery.Real wx is necesary however.Avsimmers go in the lead, flightsimmers follow behind. Cruising speed is 175 KTS groundspeed.Cruising altitude is 7500.Due to router trouble, I may not be able to see your aircraft. Assume that I can't see you.My callsign will be N2655V.See you there-

Well, I don't mind taking the baton, but i think there are many other guys who deserve it first, so i guess it's better if we'd see when we're on the air who's with us and make a virtual baton handoff !!BTW... I'm ready !EDIT: Well, it's 8.00... i guess i'll be departing now !RegardsFrancisco Leit

WellWe have arrived... A final spectacular leg, with extreme weather conditions making this a bit more difficult for all of us. Nevertheless we have landed safely...Here are some shots... the trivial GPS one and a shot on final to RWY 27 at KBOS where it shows a few people on the ground and in the air... Now let's go for the beers (well actually i'm off to bed 'cause i have to work tomorrow and here on GMT land it's almost 0300Z)..Have funEDIT: Just a bit of the flight report:[23-02-2003 23:24] Aircraft Type:T/B1900/F Aircraft Registration:CS-FNL Departing Airport:KLGA Destination Airport:KBOS Flight Level:FL070 23 H 24 m: Zero fuel Weight:4805 Kg,Fuel Weight:2501 Kg23 H 24 m: Com1 Freq=122.80 Route:KLGA FORW JEWIT FOSTY HEFTY WOONS KBOS00 H 47 m: Parking Brakes off 00 H 47 m: Com1 Freq=134.70 01 H 03 m: VR=154 Knots 01 H 03 m: V2=156 Knots 01 H 03 m: Take-off 01 H 03 m: Take off Weight:7273 Kg 01 H 03 m: Gear Up: 157 Knots 01 H 03 m: Flaps:0 at 147 Knots 02 H 01 m: Com1 Freq=128.80 02 H 03 m: Flaps:1 at 159 Knot s 02 H 03 m: Gear Down: 159 Knot s 02 H 04 m: Flaps:2 at 160 Knot s 02 H 06 m: TouchDown:Rate-415 ft/min Sp ee d:123 Knots02 H 06 m: Land 02 H 06 m: Flight Duration:01 H 03 m 02 H 06 m: Landing Weight:6958 Kg 02 H 07 m: Com1 Freq=121.90 02 H 07 m: Parking brakes on 02 H 07 m: Block to Block Dura tion:01H20 m02 H 07 m: Final Fuel: 2151 Kg 02 H 07 m: Spent Fuel: 350 Kg 02 H 07 m: Flight Length: 192 NM RegardsFrancisco Leit

Guest Marc Sykes

Fun final leg. It was nice to fly right behind, then right ahead of, Francisco and chat with him during the flight. As soon as I saw the post about leaving at 8, I went right over to LGA, so I missed the memo about 175 kts groundspeed. That's why I whipped by at 300 before slowing down. Sorry about that!Nice to have center, approach, tower, and ground control in sequence. I don't fly the major cities/airports that often so even on VATSIM that's a rarity.I'm still waiting for signups for the committee that'll decide the structure of the next race. Let's not lose this enthusiasm; might as well take advantage of it and put something together soon.Marc