Sign in to follow this  
Guest RonB49

CPU Overheating??

Sorry about this post being off topic but im out of ideas fixing my problem. For the past 5 months I experience severe computer restarts(crashes)with out warning, Basically the computer restarts on its own while I work on it. I already got the power supply, motherboard, heatsink and fan replaced with no luck. I made a discovery today that my CPU reaches temperature of 40+ and once it touches the 45 degrees barrier it automatically restarts. I tried refitting the heatsink in with many different kinds of expensive thermal compounds like "Arctic Silver3" but then it dosen't help at all. Its just really sad that im gone from the simming community for about 5 months now and im getting sick of this problem. Can anyone tell me if my CPU is running too hot? Any suddgestions for fixing the problem? Is it normal for my computer to restart when reaching these kinds of temperature?I'm running the following specs:Pentium 4 1.3 GHz socket 423 pin package (38 degrees idle 45 dgrees restarting point)384 Mb RDRAM (Config: 2x128 @ bank 0&2 and 2x64 @ bank 1&4)250 Watt powers supplyVisiontek GeForce 2 Ti 64Mb DDR 4x AGPLucent Win Modem60Gb Quantum Fireball HDPioneer DVD-ROM 16x DVD 42x CD-ROMSony CRX140E CDRWStandard FloppyRealtek LAN adaptorThanks for any help and hopefully ill be back soon to flight simming world,Pluto1168(kelvin)

Guest Rob

No --- sounds to me like your power supply is too small. CPU's can tolerate up to about 90*C.

It's not running hot. Anything below 60C with a P4 is not a problem. The CPU will start to throttle-back on the speed at 68-69C (to cool it some) but the temps you have are fine.Trip

Another question does the CPU requre more power as it gets hotter and hotter? Since we monitor the CPU's temperature running at 100% (CD Ripping) temperatures reach up to 45 sometimes goes up to 47 degrees then the screen blacks out and the computer restarts. This is a very odd problem for me since it dosen't all come together. If anyone have a theory of whats happening I would really appreciate if you can explain to me whats happening here.Thanks again,pluto1168(kelvin)

The problem could also be overheating on either the videdo card or the memory. Or, maybe, it's not an overheating problem at all. Have you tried running the machine with the cover(s) off and blowing air into it on the CPU side with a table fan? If you do that and the box still quits then that's a good sign that the problem probably isn't a lack of cooling. Also, check to be sure that all the internal fans are working and that you don't have any cables that are blocking the airflow in and out of the box.

Guest RonB49

Seems to me that you've got lots of "stuff" hanging off of a 250 Watt power supply. R-

I was getting screen freeze on my P4 1.7ghz system with a 250 watt power supply also, after I upgraded to a GForce 4 4200 Ti/64. I took the covers off my PC and put a pretty powerful fan direct at the video card and CPU and have not had a freeze since. I don't have a gauge to measure temps, but I can touch the power supply and card with my finger and they are running almost "cold". Since my PC is under the desk, the fan noise is almost un-noticable. I really think that in winter where house hold heat is not far away, that these new cards and stuff make a lot of heat, that adding a fan is just the answer to a lot of problems. I will upgrade the power supply soon, but right now, my rig is ruuning FS2002 just fine.CheersBob