Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lobaeux4

Why won't FS2K2 run, looking for some ideas

Guest Lobaeux4

Well, somehow I messed up my computer and had to start from scratch. Well, not really, just bought a new harddrive and decided to reinstall everything. Along with the new mobo, RAM, and processor. So I reinstalled FS2K2, into it's own NTFS partition, then instead of dl'd everything, I transfered all my files from my FAT32 harddrive. Did this mess anything up?I thought it did, so I formatted the partition, reinstalled FS2K2, have not installed a thing, and when I tried to fly default cessna at default meigs, with NO add-ons whatsoever, first go at it since it's been installed, it does the same thing ever since I've installed this harddrive. It freezes the computer as soon as I hit 'Fly'.Here's my specs:Gigabyte GA7AXVP moboAMD 2400 XPMushkin 512MB DDR 3200 RAMGeForce 3 ti 200 cardWestern Digital 40MB 7200RPM NTFSDirectX 9.030.82 driversWinXP ProAny ideas before I reformat the partition using FAT32 this time?Thanks,Lobaeux

Guest Lobaeux4

Think I figured something out. I ran dxdiag, and tried to test directdraw, the spinning cube sliced up into 9 pieces and froze the computer. Had to do a hard reset. Running DirectX 9, gonna reinstall and see if that fixes something.Lobaeux

Lobeeaux,Once you have formatted your HD to NTFS, don't attemp EVER to bring anything over from a FAT32 file. My advice is to make sure that you have a clean install of WINDOWS and Direct X 9 on your NTFS drive. Once you are stable, then do a complete clean install of FS2002 on that drive. If that is OK, then install all your add-on from scratch. Don't move/copy anything from your old setup. Folling this long and trying process, you should have a clean and working FS2K2 environment.Hope this helpsBob Johnson

Guest Lobaeux4

Bob, learned it the hard way. But, now none of the partitions I have are formatted in FAT32, just in NTFS. Now I'm afraid I'm going to have to do something drastic, like format the whole harddrive and start over.The DirectDraw test in dxdiag won't work, it freezes on the cube for the directx 8 test. Also, with a fresh format of my FS2K2 partition, with NTFS, and a fresh install of FS2K2, nothing added in, as soon as I hit the 'fly' button, the computer locks up. The only thing I've done differently was go to DirectX 9 and add the SP1 package to XP. I have since uninstalled DirectX 9 and went back to 8.1.Very frustrating, I can't figure this one out.Lobaeux

Guest Lobaeux4

Tried to run FS one last time last night. As soon as I hit 'Fly', it rebooted the computer. Using rivatuner, I noticed AGP sideband and fastwrites were 'forced on', I don't remember changing them, so I put those options back to 'determined by bios'. The only thing I can think of is a problem with DirectX. I installed DirectX 9, have uninstalled, now dxdiag says that some of my 8.1 files are old versions. Could this cause a problem? The only reason I think it might be a DirectX problem is the Direct3D test freezes the computer everytime it runs for DirectX 8.Anyone else have any ideas?Lobaeux

Don't make me come over there, Lobaeux!!!:-lolWhat in the name of Pete have you been doing! I can't leave you alone for a minute!:-lolIf you have formatted your hardrive with NTFS, leave it alone. There are ways of reformatting back to FAT but you don't need to do that. You must have basic system driver problems.When you installed the OS to your new hardrive, did you install the drivers for your controller chips, VIA, Intel, SiS, AMD, ALi. If not, I would start there to see if it improves the situation.I couldn't find GA7AXVP on the Gigabyte website, are you sure it isn't GA-7VAXP or GA-7VAXP Ultra? If it is one of these, it uses the VIA 4-IN-1 drivers - http://www.viaarena.com/.Lastly, (and I do mean lastly:-lol), you might want to start over with a clean hardrive (I don't mean changing NTFS/FAT), just a simple reformat to start over. Make sure you have all the updated drivers available AFTER you install all the Windows SP's but before you start loading any graphics drivers and applications. The controller chip drivers are most important.

Guest Lobaeux4

LOL!!!I tell ya, I have more problems with this thing than anyone else here.Here's what I did, I actually was able to launch, take-off from meigs, circle around the city and land. Then I shut down, and started loading up the extras I like. Talk about a pain!!Wsieffert, I looked up some of your previous posts regarding DirectX, I ended up reinstalling 40.72 drivers, then did a restart. I tried out dxdiag again, testing the direct3d. This time it passed through, including DirectX9? test, although I've got 8.1 installed.It is the GA-7VAXP mobo, mistype on my part. I've got the latest bios, and the hyperion drivers installed for VIA.Boy, this one was a pain, looks like it needed 40.72 reinstalled, somehow that must've messed it up.Wish I had more time to test and fool with it. Gotta fly tonite, it's been forever since I've had a night landing, and they're opening the field tonite so we can do NVG landings. Hopefully I'll be home early enough to get in a flight in flightsim.Lobaeux

Guest Lobaeux4

Okay, since we came home early tonite (gear malfunction and some horrendous winds), I decided to go ahead and try out with different vid drivers. I think this was the root of the problem, especially with the SP1 pack.But, the only driver that'll work that I dl'd was the 40.72's, everything around that just locks up FS2K2.Lobaeux

Hi,Did you a fresh install after you removed fs2002 and DirectX from the "old" disk ? If not, I expect you have some registery conflicts and you need to reinstall fs2002 (and DirectX) on your "old" disk, to remove the old installation(s) following the MS rules (to remove the registery entries, which are by the way the entries from which good installation programms are knowing where your fs2002 directory is) and do the reinstall on your new disk.Only my idea.hm