Sign in to follow this  
Guest X-ray

How to fly with the CIVA INS?

Guest X-ray

Hello guys,I managed to configure the CIVA INS correctly (at least it displays READY NAV on the correct position, 9 waypoints are stored and I can tune it to NAV without any warning light).Sorry for this extreme noob-question, but I just can't figure this out by myself.Is it correct to assume that the CIVA INS cannot be coupled to the autopilot?If yes, is it the correct way to fly the 732 with the CIVA INS by continuously monitoring the INS DSRTK value and tuning the HSI

Guest tmsand

It can be coupled to the autopilot by switching the NAV/RAD button (just to the right of the HSI) to NAV and then selecting heading mode on the autopilot. The INS will drive the heading bug on the HSI to maintain a cross track of zero. As far as navigation using the INS goes, probably the most important thing to monitor is the cross track/track angle error page (labeled XTK/TKE). The left display will indicate the number of miles left or right of course line. The right display will indicate the number of degrees off heading the aircraft is. When you are tracking right down the course line you will see 0 on both sides. If you are 3 miles left of course and correcting you should see 3L on the left display, and some R value on the right display. This indicates that your heading back towards your intended course line.The DSRTK/STS or Desired Track/Status page will give you the *true* course between the two selected way points. Following this value presents two major problems. First, since it is a true heading you'll need to convert it using local magnetic variation before you can fly that heading using the HSI. Second, that value isn't corrected for drift. Unless you have no wind, setting even the mag-corrected DSRTK will not maintain course line.An inertial navigation system is really a powerful tool. It might seem primitive, but with some knowledge of it's operation it can be just as powerful as an FMS. The down side is that there is no nav database so the pilot has to actually think to navigate! :-)