Sign in to follow this  
mozart

Vertical control with autopilot?

I downloaded the Tinmouse two days ago and since spent time discovering. Great product!!!At first I struggled with the autopilot, but the manual that is linked in the FAQ proved helpful. As for the other functions, I am fine (almost 10 years of simming experience start to show), EXCEPT these two:1. On the autopilot. I am confused. Basically what I want is the following: after takeoff, engage the elevator control mode of the AP and have the AP fly a VS that I choose. For some reason I cannot find a way to set the VS that I want the AP to fly. So I have to hand-fly the vertical navigation myself, using only the FD's instruction.So what is it that I am missing? Do I have to handfly the plane all the way to its cruise altitude, or have I simply missed the button/wheel that allows me to set desired VS?2. On EPR control. I use the PDCS to calculate the EPR limits and the bugs slide on the EPR gauge. Fine so far. But then, is there a way for the throttles to respect those limits automatically or do I have to manually control throttles all the way myself, using the bugs only as visual assistance? In other words, is there something like a semi-autothrottle that makes sure I don't exceed the limits calculated by the PDCS?Thanks a lot for any hints and congratulations for this great plane. I have used all payware planes (PMDG, PSS, Ready-for-pushback, Feelthere, Maddog, Dreamfleet, etc) but this one presents a new, welcome challenge!CheersChris

>Basically what I want is the following: after takeoff, engage>the elevator control mode of the AP and have the AP fly a VS>that I choose. For some reason I cannot find a way to set the>VS that I want the AP to fly. So I have to hand-fly the>vertical navigation myself, using only the FD's instruction.>>So what is it that I am missing? Do I have to handfly the>plane all the way to its cruise altitude, or have I simply>missed the button/wheel that allows me to set desired VS?Lots in the forum already on this. Short version is that the Sperry 77 A/P does not have a VS mode...control of VS is done with yoke inputs to the CWS as in the r/w.>2. On EPR control. I use the PDCS to calculate the EPR limits>and the bugs slide on the EPR gauge. Fine so far. But then, is>there a way for the throttles to respect those limits>automatically or do I have to manually control throttles all>the way myself, using the bugs only as visual assistance? In>other words, is there something like a semi-autothrottle that>makes sure I don't exceed the limits calculated by the PDCS?The PDCS only controls the bugs. There is no autothrottle. I did add a throttle trim function that allows fine control of the power setting...see the readme for details.CheersBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VSantiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

"1. On the autopilot. I am confused. Basically what I want is the following: after takeoff, engage the elevator control mode of the AP and have the AP fly a VS that I choose. For some reason I cannot find a way to set the VS that I want the AP to fly. So I have to hand-fly the vertical navigation myself, using only the FD's instruction.So what is it that I am missing? Do I have to handfly the plane all the way to its cruise altitude, or have I simply missed the button/wheel that allows me to set desired VS?" There is no VS speed control where you enter a "number". In the 732 you use the Control Wheel Steering (CWS). Engage the AP aileron and elevator "paddles" and then pull back or push forward on your controller until you reach the desired VS / attitude, then RELEASE the controller. The aircraft will hold this angle and, if you speed remains STEADY, will also hold yout vertical speed. If, however, your KIAS changes, your VS will also change. During a climb I usually have to push forward, slighlty, on my stick many times as my airspeed comes up to final climb speed. It's important to remember that BEFORE engaging the AP paddles that you are not moving your controls at all or you will have bad results."2. On EPR control. I use the PDCS to calculate the EPR limits and the bugs slide on the EPR gauge. Fine so far. But then, is there a way for the throttles to respect those limits automatically or do I have to manually control throttles all the way myself, using the bugs only as visual assistance? In other words, is there something like a semi-autothrottle that makes sure I don't exceed the limits calculated by the PDCS?" There is no auto-throttle of any type on the TM 732. You must adjust your throttles by hand following the Bugs as a visual reference. There is, however, a throttle "trim" which allows minute adjustements to the throttles. I have never been able to get it to work so I just adjust as best I can (and cheat by using FSNav!! LOL).The download includes instructions on setting up and using this "throttle trim" function. Hope that helps some, Chris. If I have gotten anything wrong someone will post to straighten us out ;-) . Vic

Guest Dracherl

Hi I just wrote a reply to topichttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...=1751&mode=fullUnfortunately I found the topic by 'advanced search' but I can't find it in forum now.That's why I post the question again here:(Cuz via search for 'altitude alert' I didn't find the answer)I can control VS and so on that's not the problem -I'm fine with the plane so far and I like it.;)What I miss is a way to set the altitude at which the alert alerts.What I miss further is a 'speed brake deployed' warn light - maybe you can guess why silly me could use one ...*blush*probably there is no such light in the real mouse but i don't have the throttle sub panel open all the time.Any news on the DME issue?http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...g_id=2141&page=(I was in CAT II in Munich lately and a DME would have been extremely useful *gg*)thanks in advance

Guest Dracherl

Disregard about the altitude set - I found itBut there's another issue with the com freq - I can't set the the full numbers - only the decimnals

You need to use the right mouse button.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VSantiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case