Sign in to follow this  
Guest RSmith

ATC Reverb, Stutter (again) - Tips Needed

Guest RSmith

Understand this is somewhat redundant. I've searched previous posts on topic, tried solutions posted (Dx Diagnostics, drivers, etc.), still can't resolve. I would really appreciate any further help.PIII800, on P3V4X/533-U MOBO, CSBL Value, 512ram, GeF2GTS 32meg., standard desktop stereo speakers.Just since last month, FS ATC sound is "reverbing" sporadically at the end of sentence - not every communication - but now & then. FS pilot also "reverbs" - but less often. "Reverb" defined as a stutter, repeat of the last word or partial word in sentence being communicated, with a slight echo.I spent yesterday assuring "all" drivers updated. Using Dx8.1. Have sound "quality" set on high, but most graphics sliders mid - mid-high. Have hardward acceleration set far right - full on.Other FS adds (.wav files) play without any reverb - stutter ??I did reinstall FS recently - thinking I had corrupted .wav files causing this stutter - but - after reinstall - same thing.Other than buying new computer, any advice. Thanks,Ron

Hi,Last week I experienced crackling sounds and very low fps. I could repair it with an installation of the newest VIA drivers (only valid if your motherboard contains VIA chips) VIAHyperion4in1445v.exe at www.viatech.comhm

Guest RSmith

Thanks hm,Yup, have VIA chip, but this is the one area (VIA drivers) I'm not sure how to update. VIA is speciified in - Device Manager - System Devices - (at the very bottom of list - 4 items - VIA PCI, VIA CPU, and (2) VIA Tech VT _ _ _ _). However, all drivers under this section are listed as from Microsoft, dated back to April, 1999 ????I have a disk, from ASUS - showing VIA Chipset Series 7.07 - but not sure where to check if VIA drivers are in use. Any chance you could guide me to "where" to confirm the VIA drivers. Would assume an updated driver process - would be same as video, sound, windows drivers.....Thanks for the reply.Ron

Hi Ron,Download via www.viatech.com -> Technical Support -> Drivers. You are now on the "Hyperion" page. Download via HTTP or FTP. The file is 1.33 Mbyte in size. Launch the VIAHyperion....exe and the rest is very simple, use every time the defaults as answer. At the end the system wants to do a reboot and you do so. That's all. Greetings,Hugo

Guest RSmith

Well, maybe this tells me I really "do" have a motherboard, going bad....D/L'd the VIA drivers - install went normal. Thanks for the link.Bad news is - I guess I have discovered the problem ??? As, sound reverb / stuttering actually got worse....... More pronounced stuttering, and, stuttering actually stopped the sim for a few seconds.....Technical question - where can I look in the "system" to make sure the new VIA drivers are in place - and being used ?? I actually don't know how to check these drivers, where, in comparison, you can check the video, sound drivers easily..... I installed and executed the VIA .exe file twice - and - both times it says installed Ok. Just can't locate - now - where to look on my system to "see" the detailed VIA driver info.....If MOBO is going bad, than, this efort is lost cause....... Just hoping to identify problem / and confirm my situation.Thanks for the feedback, Hugo.Ron

Open Device Manager, double click System Devices, Look for VIA, double click each one, select driver tab, select driver details, click on each entry and not the version. Problem will be if you didn't know the version prior, is this a later version.Another way is to press start, accessories, system tools, system information. Select software environment, signed drivers and look to see the versions installed.

Guest RSmith

Thanks. (see we are in the same area - C.Florida ! Great weather - Huh !)Went back to ASUS site and d/l'd their suggested driver set for my P3V4X mobo - ASUS's file name is "4in1428v" - and installed. Still have same stutter. Last resort - ASUS lists an AGP driver also - and - again - not sure if my current one needs updating, and not sure that would affect sound in FS - but guess I'll give it a go.......I did review the system information file - and with "all" those drivers, I'll just check as best I'm able that the recent / current d/l's are the drivers that are shown.... but I'd need a pro to tell me if "all" the drivers have been updated correctly...... quite a few !Very strange that "only" FS ATC sounds are affected. All other computer programs / sounds work fine. Still speculate that FS is messed up somehow - but with fresh re-install, doubt that could happen.Ron

Ron,I am wondering about the "bad" behaviour of your system: is it only with fs2002 or are there other programs suffering also. In that case you can try the following for checking your system files (Win 98 SE):Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System tools -> System Information (a very nice tool) -> Tools -> System File Checker.Now you can compare your files on the computer with the ones on the Windows CD. OK, many times it will report you a later version and date for a file, that's (mostly) ok. However it can be it will report you a file of an earlier version, in that case: replace, or even worse (and I had it, when my system was refusing to wake up and was showing a garbled screen) files with an other size but with the same version number. In that case replace. And even worse, the system can report you a corrupted file and then of course you have to replace it. I think this utility is a very unknown but has a tremendous value. Have you deleted a system file per hasard, well this is the way you can go to extract it from the CAB files, and you don't even to know in which CAB file it is stored !hm

Guest RSmith

Well, System File Checker reports (1) corrupted file "LMOUSE16.DLL".Tried to locate source of this file - it's stored in C:WindowsSystem but not sure from where - it is not on my Win98SE disk ?I use a Logitech cordless wheel mouse - wonder if this file belongs to Logitech ?

Hi Ron,Lmouse16.dll is most probably a Logitech file. In any case much of he files on the Logitech CDrom are beginning with Lm..., I am using a Logitech Wheel Mouse with tail :-)). In that case I should advice you to reinstall your Mouse Driver. (Maybe you have to remove it first).hmBTW How is the weather in Florida ? I am living in Europe.

Guest RSmith

Well, once again, at a dead-end.Spent last few hours with Logitech. No help. Seems their newest software is designed for XP, so us "old-timers" with Win98SE are being left behind. LMOUSE16.dll is an XP driver file, not available to 98SE..... so advice is - ignore it. ???? Plus, Logitech mouse keeps changing from "channel (1) - to - channel (2)".... plan to try mounting receiver under desk somewhere different. But why would it work for 2 years without problem, then start changing channels ???No improvement in FS sound chattering / end of phrase or word. All the updated sound, video, bios drivers looks like they are in place (via Systems Info.) so, not sure what else could have happened.Planned obsolescence ?? Everyone pushing you into XP, and new hardware......Maybe just let FS go for awhile.....At least weather is great !

Let me now your email address, I will be glad to send it.hm ( desi-iii@pandora.be )

One other thing you might try is to reload the Audio Compression CODECS. Enter control panel, add/remove programs, Windows Setup tab. Select Multimedia, Details button, ensure Audio Compression checkbox is selected, OK, and follow the directions. You may need your Win98 CD to add the files.I live 4mi N of KMCO in Conway Area.

Try turning down your sound hardware acceleration in dxdiag (type dxdiag in the START / RUN box and then go to the sound tab). Might be worth a try.Andy (YSCB)

Hey Ron,I feel your pain!!! I'm having the same problem. It seems that it only affects the ATC sounds in Flight Sim. All other sounds, be they engine, wind, or music from CD's work just fine. The one thing I did notice is that when the stuttering starts, the gauges seem to freeze up also. When the atc spits the word out then the gauges go back to normal. I have found that if I change window views the stuttering goes away momentarily. This happens with the default panels as well as other panels. I checked all my codecs and they are installed. I even reinstalled FS and copied all the files that had to do with ATC over to my original installation (except for traffic.bgl. Too much time invested in that one!) to no avail. I've been using FS2k2 for over a year and this problem started about a week ago. Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.Mike