Sign in to follow this  
markadeane

LIRF-EGKK with FS2Crew 744

Folks,Just wrapped up a thoroughly plesant flight from Rome up to Gatwick in the 744 with the latest build of FS2Crew 744 installed.Many of you are no doubt looking forward to this release and rightly so, she's a real beauty. Thought I might share a few bits with you.I settled into the flight deck about 45 minutes prior to departure to allow myself time to go through some performance calulations and work out my thrust derate, V speeds etc. My first officer went out to do the walk around and simultaneously the first of the paperwork started to come into the flight deck for my attention. Off the ACARS printer came a report of some turbulence along our route of flight as reported by an earlier departure. I made a note to include this in my brief to the flight attendant.After all the prep, with 5 minutes to go, my lead F/A had been briefed, the departure brief had been completed with my F/O, and (after a heads-up from ramp control) an engineer had been aboard to confirm the availability of theraputic oxygen for a passenger downstairs who had a medical condition. We were all set to go when my headset crackled into life: ramp control advised me a connecting passenger had come off a late flight and was just clearing security.I let the lead F/A know then put out a quick brief to the pax to let them know we'd be underway in no time at all.Finally, with the all-clear given, it was 'off chocks' at just 4 minutes past the scheduled departure time, not bad!I had decided to take advantage of the non-FAA airspace speed restriction waiver option in Radar Contact and so set the FMC up with a nil speed restriction. As you all know, under such circumstances, you take 350 tonnes of aircraft from a standstill to 320-odd knots in a matter of about 4 minutes. As fun as this is, (trust me you have to try it!) the 744 can be quite a handful on one's own, what with needing to maintain the intial climbout speed, get the gear up, engage the autopilot, and start the clean up process...Not with my trusty F/O to my right! :-)Got the aircraft cleaned up and the after-takeoff checks completed. With a climb clearance to FL150, I could finally relax and watch as the Sicilian coastline crept smoothly past the side window in the setting sun. The skies were alive too, traffic every which way I looked. Settling into the cruise at FL350, I dialled up the lead F/A's station to let her know. I should point out that she was most attentive to the crew needs throughout the flight, great lady. :-)As we proceeded though to the east of Paris, it was time to pull the seat forward again and prepare for an approach brief. Shortly afterwards I was cleared to descend down to FL290, I let the lead F/A know and down we went. The south of London looked like a christmas tree with all the aircraft out there, passing 20,000 feet we got the pax strapped in and got the landing lights on to ensure we could be seen by the myriad of other aircraft.Arriving at the edge of the terminal airspace at 12,000 feet, we were handed over to approach, who told us to expect vectors to runway 8R, as we had briefed for. At the end of the downwind leg I could see we were going to be in pretty close company with another aircraft that had just been vectored for the ILS onto the parallel runway 8L. Sure enough we ended up intercepting the ILS for 8R a mere quarter of a mile or so from an Aerolinas Aregentinas A340 for 8L. I slowed to Vref so as not to get any closer however, I didn't need to know what colour his hair is, I figured!!!With the last of the flaps out, my trusty F/O ran though the landing checks and we were all set. Passing 1,500 feet I called visual and took the autopilot out. Keeping an eye on my landing neighbour, I rolled out on runway 8R and brought the aircraft to a nice gradual taxi speed. From there it was a short taxi to our stand, meanwhile my F/O was busy doing all the after-landing flows that had previously been my problem. How many of you have been caught out trying to steer the Queen off a high speed exit while simultaneously flicking off landing lights and strobes, raising flaps and starting the APU? Tricky huh?Not anymore!We pulled into our stand a good 13 minutes ahead of schedule, as I applied the parkbrakes, my F/O transferred the busses onto the APU and gave me the all clear to shut down the engines. From there it was one set of shutdown checks and a handover to the ground engineer and I was off to the pub!Those of you who have followed the evolution of Fs2Crew over the past few years will not be disappointed with this release, it is a genuine asset on the PMDG flight deck and one I know you'll have a real blast with.Watch this space!CheersMark

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest Ryan Briggs

is the Beta version already out?

Guest xaxa9

Hello Mark,Thank you evry much for the treat. That was a real pleasure to read. You had me laughing when reading the last part of your post, whe you were talking about flicking off all switchs, raising up flaps,... It ahs always been an issue for me, hard to keep the bird straight,... Anyways, that will be solved whenever FS2Crew's ready.

Guest xaxa9

>is the Beta version already out?Not yet I believe, this is another build before beta which is coming really really soon. Anyways, Bryan seems to be very busy with you know what at the present time so I'd figure I'd answer for him.

>is the Beta version already out?In preliminary beta testing at this point, it's certainly progressing well. Watch this space, as I said! :-)

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Ryan,I do things a bit differently than most.I do beta testing in stages, and what the bulk of testers usually get is more of a release candidate than a piece of software with a million bugs. I do most of the testing myself.However, right now I have a couple individuals doing pre-screening including my 747 consultant, so right now I'd say we're between alpha and beta, as blurry as the line is.I still keep adding things to the software. Sometimes I really have to force myself to stop or it will never get done :-)-Bryan

Guest xaxa9

Hey Mark, Bryan,is it flyable in the virtual cockpit??? I mean, can we do a flight from A to Z in the virtual cockpit ?

Yes, you can do a full flight in the VC. Basically it's the same sort of functionality you would get in the Level-D 767 with the 767 Edition.The only thing is that in the VC, for example, you won't see the "book" that you can see in the screen shot in another thread in this sub-forum. Things like that. Also, the smashed outer pane bird strike effect will pop up in its own window (like it does in the 767 Edition).The reason for this is because I cannot add graphics "directly" to the VC itself the same way I can in a 2D cockpit. Having new windows pop up in the VC is not a problem, but physically modifying the the VC itself would have to be done by the PMDG Virtual Cockpit designer.Hope that helps,Bryan

Guest Ryan Briggs

ahh cool cool, just wasnt sure ;) i can understand that though, Work out the major bugs yourself and with a few people and then send out the "Pre-Finished" version for the group so that the little things can get worked out and then off to the shelves, sounds like this is going to be the best FS2crew yet! im addicted to your 767 version, wastes time because i have to sit on the ground 30 minutes when i could get the airplane ready to go in 10 just because of the IRS's but the product is so good i wait and wait and then i push back and all the dialogues and different things that happen are very awesome =D, and before hand, Great job on the 744 version

Guest xaxa9

Glad to hear we will be able to complete a full flight from within the VC as in the LevelD. Can't wait Bryan.... I hate to say this, but hurry ...Just kidding, as always, take all the time needed...Thanks for your answer

Guest Ryan Briggs

haha, well, i prefer the realism and although Instant alignment is an option,i would rather wait for 8 to 12 minutes while they align although i have to admit sometimes when im doing a group flight on vatsim and something screws up and i gotta restart, i usually Set instant align and just take 30 seconds entering the firs 5-6 waypoints and go

So Bryan, need any beta testers?Sorry, you had to know that was coming at some point. ;)