Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hawk38313

Take off crash

Guest Hawk38313

Greetings, Ok I was doing the tutor thing and was having great sucess. Great tutorial to follow. Ok, on take off pulling back 12 degrees as stated on my sheet in green book then I will be darn if steve doesn't start acting all weird and starts sweating, almost like he forgot to do something, and boy was I right, he starts coughing, whistling kinda looking around next thing I know he has pulled up the overhead panel (this is as I am just taking off trying to clear the cows and stuff at the end of the runway) and it messing with the fuel controls, of course next thing I hear is pull up but the overhead panel is there and then well steve and I don't work for Korea Airlines any longer and the darn farmer is suing the company for all the cows I wiped out. Noted first flight, havn't had time to jump back in the seat but is this normal and why is steve acting so spastic for? Anyone else having this problem with ole steve? Thanks for a great product as well all the others I have, they sure do make a better copilot than my wife, man she hates this stuff.Hawk Hunter

Hi Hawk,What your describing is the FO fuel configuration process, you FO isn't trying to kill you :-lol but rather keep fuel flowing to the engines.The FO pulls up the overhead panel and adjusts the fuel pumps when the yellow '>Tank to Engine' EICAS message displays. He does not configure the fuel pumps straight away but waits about 1 minute after the message displays. If this message appeared just before you entered the runway then chances are Steve configured the fuel pumps right at V1 (you'll have to forgive him, he ain't the sharpest tool in the shed).If you are following the tutorial this should occur near cruise, however if you were on the ground a long time and burned a lot of fuel this may have occured earlier. Ensure you set the fuel to 1/3 Full at the start of the tutorial and upon lineup make sure the >Tank to Engine message is not displaying. If it is then wait a minute for Steve to forget about his homocidal tendencies and configure the fuel pumps. Then proceed with the takeoff.Try this and let us know how you go,Jeremy

Hello Hawk,Don't feel bad... that's how they fly in Korea even on a good day. Jeremy is right... the FO was setting the fuel pumps (the big overhead panel has to open for the FO to apply his simulated mouse clicks to flip fuel switches).Set your initial fuel at the start via the PMDG fuel menu to 1/3 full and press "Apply Now." You should get a TANK-ENG EICAS mssg in the climb, and the FO will configure the pumps as mentioned above.Chrs,Bryan

Guest Hawk38313

I dont remember seeing that light come on that stated that message, I do know that after he did that I get a "X config fuel" message in amber, is that supposed to happen?oh, I noticed Northwest is not included in the Planning menu as a selection for callsigns, will that ever be added? Thanks,Hawk Hunter,P.S. Steve says hi

Hi Hawk (and Steve????)Perhaps we'll add Northwest to the list in Update 1.When you loaded the fuel, did you use the PMDG fuel menu to load fuel and click "Apply now"?Never load fuel via the default FS9 fuel menu. That's all I can think of.Hope that helps,Bryan

Guest Hawk38313

did everything by the books, just flew lax to ewr no problems, I think it was the sitting there with apu running this time I didn't crank the apu until pre depature and it worked great. Now if I can get the bird to quick turnning off the auto pilot on landing and heading straight down, ahhh back to the pmdg forums for this one.Thanks,Hawk Hunter

Guest afluhart
Now if I can get the bird to quick turnning off the auto pilot on landing and heading straight down, ahhh back to the pmdg forums for this one.
Make sure you have all the wake turbulence options unchecked in your ActiveSky... for some reason it thinks there are thermals at the end of all the runways.

I had this same problem on my first flight. I did the corect 1/3 fuel setup however I started the APU imediatly and with a long time on APU burning fuel from only the 2nd tank it would eventually come to the X-FEED CFIG (as you will see, it did). Then after engine start and a long taxi, with high thrust setting (my bad), when reaching the runway I got the TANK TO ENGINE EICAS message. I took off regardless and just after Vr the FO (Steve) opened the full overhead to configure the fuel pumps. Next I got the X-FEED amber message as I had less fuel in tank 2 and I had to turn on the 3rd tank booster pumps until it was back equal.So, yes, the problem must have been the same as yours. No biggie.(Steve, the FO I'd guess?!)Have fun,Eric