Sign in to follow this  
Andymk

Flying Online

Hi all,silly question. But how do people cope flying on VATSIM with FS2Crew?I only ask because yesterday I sat parked up in EGLL, with FS2Crew running and reading through manual. And it was awkward listening out for stuff in FS2Crew, and hearing the Tower talking to other pilots.And for that matter, when you're actually flying and your trying to listen for important info from Approach, but also have your Copilot in Fs2Crew talking to you aswell.Is it a case or setting volumes?Or just something you get used to and deal with?Regards

Guest Paul Heaney

Personally, I fly with ATC on my headset and all other PC Sounds coming from the speakers. If you have a USB Headset, then this isn't a problem, if your headset plugs into the soundcard, then that's a whole other issue.

Paul's method is best, and most realistic.Trying to monitor several different people talking at the same time is part of 'as real as it gets'.I suggest turning down the ATC volume while running checklists/briefs on the ground.Cheers,Bryyan

I have a setup like Paul's as well..works great. In fact my first time using FSCrew for the 744 was online via Vatsim on a KBOS-EGLL routing. Worked great. I was one busy person from the time I loaded up the sim until passing 10k...finally I was able to take a breather! I was one hour into my flight time before I even had a chance to check my chronometer since starting the ET timer.

Eric 

Part of the coping strategy for myself is staying off the ATC until you really need to get start clearance. By the time you are fully ready for departure a lot of your preparation should be done.Once you've done your preflight checklist and signed a few pieces of paper, there is a good gap to handle the start clearance, then you can (in theory) turn the ATC right down to background level while you do the before start flow and checklist. Then turn it back up once you're ready to go!You know, it suddenly occurs to me how cool it is that we're facing these challenges now. Imagine telling someone from 10 years ago that you'd have a full 747-400 simulation with procedural flows and assistance, and full live ATC!

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

To expand on what Mark is saying, I was actually in contact with Joel De Young of Squawkbox fame, and I asked him if he could add the ability for external apps to control the volume of the received ATC voice in Squawkbox.Hopefully Joel will be able to do this in an FSX version of SB. That way you'll be able to control ATC volume via a knob on a gauge on the 747's panel directly instead of having to go into the SB options menus, which gets a bit tedious if you're constantly changing the volume.Chrs,Bryan

BryanThat is a wonderful idea and I hope it can be implemented. To be able to "pause" a briefing or checklist would be very helpful when flying online. It could be tied to a push of the PTT button - no sound files (at least the captain's) would be played while the PTT is pressed. I might have mentioned this before..

>Personally, I fly with ATC on my headset and all other PC>Sounds coming from the speakers. If you have a USB Headset,>then this isn't a problem, if your headset plugs into the>soundcard, then that's a whole other issue.>Paul, I have a logitech usb headset and a creative audigy ZS sound card, how do I go about setting up FS so that ATC comes through the headset ( via vatsim and SB3 ) and FS sounds go through my speakers ??need to explain in simple language step by step as I'm no computer expert !!!Cheers Phil

Phil Densley

Hi Kyle,You can already semi-pause the checklists by simply not pushing the Main Button to respond to the FO/PNF's challenge.However, I know what you're saying. I don't know if there is a way to pause a wav file after it's already started playing, and then pick up where it left off. Something to investigate I guess.Chrs,Bryan

Paul,I have all sounds, ATC and environmentals, on my headphones, and nothing from my speakers.In Vista Home, how do I manage the Control Panel.Sound settings to get the environmentals to the speakers?Cheers, Richard McDonald Woods,Winchester, UK

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx