Sign in to follow this  
Marius_S

IRS and trim

Hello Brian!Just did my first flight with this add on and it's just great! However, I did notice a couple of things when doing the tutorial.1. When I select the fs2crew panel file, the IRS are alligned, but in the tutorial it says that I need to turn it off and then realllign it. Why?2. The tutorial states that autostart only works with GE engines. I coulnd't find anything in PMDG manual that says autostart ain't working on PW and RR engines.3. It seems like the FO fails to set the correct trim. For my flight, the trim, as calculated by the FMC, should be 4.9, but the trim stays at the standard 4.5. And again, this is a great add on! Thanks!

Marius S

2) I believe that's becuase at the airline Bryan used, they only use autostart on the GE engines.3) I think that it's because FS2Crew can't read the exact 4.x number, and can only round down.Wait for Bryan on official answers, just my thoughts on the subject.

Hello Marius,1. The tutorial assumes you do not have instant alligment checked in the PMDG options manual. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if your IRS's are already aligned, then you should not need to move the IRS switches to off, then back to on.2. I try to keep thing as simple as possible for the tutorial flight so I mandated that everyone use the same engine type. At the airline I modelled, they have a mix of RR and GE engines. Their RR engines are not autostart equiped. I am not sure if RR offers an autostart option for their engines out out of the factory. If the PMDG PW and RR engines include autostart, then there is nothing to stop you from using them.3. Captain, not the FO, sets TO trim after the ground crew clears him to pressurize.Glad to hear you like FS2Crew 747.Chrs,Bryan

Thanks for the answers!1. The IRS are set to use 10 min to allign in PMDG - options.3. Oh, my mistake. I can see now that I should set the trim, not the FO. Seems like I've read the tutorial a little too fast the first time. :-)

Marius S

Okay, for #1.. you need to set the IRS selector to OFF, wait 10 seconds, then back to NAV.Then Setup the Pos Init Page in the FMC.When using saved Panel Files, it's just the way you need to do it due to the way saved panel's work.I believe this is done in the real-world, too.Chrs,Bryan

Correct,Generally this is the first thing the Captain will do on the aircraft. The IRU's are actually set to NAV when the pilots board so they are infact aligned. They set them OFF then NAV regardless.Why do you align them?The reason as far as I can gather is that during long flights there is some 'shift' in the alignment. The IRU's are realigned to recalibrate their positions. If you are doing a long flight you will see evidence of this shift, press the POS button on the EFIS panel and you will see a dumbbell and three stars. (If you have just aligned the IRU's these will all be on top of one another)The dumbell is your position according to the GPS, the stars indicate the relative positions of the IRU's. If you are running in IRS Navigation only your position is worked out as an average of the three IRU's.Jeremy

Yes Jeremy is correct, I think the only exception might be a through flight where the crew remains the same. Even so its still good practice to align them everytime. Of course this would be a airline dependent SOP.

Correct. On a thryu flight there is no requirement to do a full allign. Although as there is so much preflight time, and very few thru flights on a 747 operation, most crew will do a full realign each time.CheersSteve

Cheers

Steve Hall

Ok, thanks for the answer folks!I noticed one more thing; I was doing a flight from LFPG to OMDB today. When I came to the CRZ briefing, I selected FAIR weather, instead GOOD. When the briefing for the engine out alt was done, the simulator freezed. Nothing happend, and I had to quit FS after a while. After shutting down, a window with title "G:MariusMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9Soundfs2crew747crbrieffair.waw" showed up. When I looked in that folder, I couldn't find any file named fair.waw. I did, however, find one named fine.waw. Anybody elese having this issue?

Marius S