Sign in to follow this  
pilotguy365

SELCAL on FS2Crew 747

Hello all,I have only recently purchased this edition of FS2Crew and before I mention my concern I have this to say: I have never felt more comfortable and rewarded for spending money on any other flight sim add-on ever. I truly enjoy this add-on. It really gives FS2004 that little extra nudge to truly incorporate the phrase "As Real as it gets". However, I have only one question/concern. When I am running fs2crew in the preflight (I don't remember the exact time to chocks off this happens) the co-pilot will call "Gander radio" and ask for a SELCAL test. I never knew this to be SOP but I could be wrong. I am loaded up at KDFW so Gander is really far away and unnecessary. What am I doing wrong ?Sincerely,Tony Nelson

Hi Tony,Glad to hear you like it.I'll pass the mic over to Cowpatz on this one as its his airline and it was his idea.FYI, FS2Crew breaks the world down into sections, so if you're on the west coast you will call SFO radio, in you're in Europe you'll call Maastrich radio, in th UK you'll call Shannon...FS2Crew assumes you'll be flying over the water in your 747. Cheers,Bryan

As Bryan has said FSCew assumes you will be conducting a long flight and that a portion of it will be over water with HF radio as the communication means. It is company procedure to ensure that the HF radio system is operational prior to flight. Therefore it is part of the preflight procedure whenever HF radio use may be required. In fact in a lot of cases it is a requirement to obtain a preflight selcal check before using CPDLC (controller pilot data link connection). This is a text type program for requesting and receiving clearances as well as providing position reports at the push of a button or even totally automatically via SATCOM.As with most programs there are limitations and if every operational facet was to be an option you would be there for a long time selecting them before getting started. This is all good stuff to consider for a future update/enhancement though. CheersSteve Hall

Cheers

Steve Hall