Sign in to follow this  
Guest Peter Bowcut

Why does F/O blank out lower screen after engine start?

Guest Peter Bowcut

Hi,Just wondering why the F/O blanks out lower CRT as part of his flow after engine start? During normal FS2Crew ops after engine start, the Captain voice asks for takeoff flaps and then I begin to check control movement via the lower CRT status page. Right in the middle of my control checks, the F/O blanks out the lower screen and I have to slap him. :)On the real 747 of course, the pilot references the lower CRT status page during control checks to observe correct movement of the control surfaces. My F/O insists on blanking out my screen in the middle of this process, grrrrr. Does anyone have any insight? Thanks!

Hi Peter,Referencing Page 49 in the Main Ops manual, the FO should blank the screen you mentioned about 20 seconds after you call for the takeoff flaps. It's all based on internal timing.How much time is the FO giving you to complete the control checks?You should start the control check right after calling for the TO flaps.Chrs,-Bryan

Guest Peter Bowcut

Hi Bryan,In the past I was usually starting control checks right after calling for takeoff flaps, yes. I was just wondering why the F/O procedurally blanks out the lower CRT - I'm assuming that you modeled a 747 real-world operator's checklist in this respect. The F/O usually beats me to the draw and I now simply wait until he blanks out the lower CRT, reach over and slap him :), then press the STAT buttom and do my control checks then. Also, while Jane Brown seems very competent and pleasant, she sure misses a lot of briefings at the gate. I don't mind briefing her onboard, but I feel this is setting a bad example to the younger F/A's if you know what I mean. :) :) Thanks a lot for your great support here btw. Time for me to get the flock out of here and grab a beer! :)-Peter

Hi Peter,Perhaps Steve (Cowpatz) will step in and answer why the FO blanks the lower CRT. It's his airline we modeled.Briefing at the gate: As you know in Flt Sim you can't walk from the gate to the plane, so we just had to pretend that Jane was late resulting her asking for a brief after you've already got on the plane.Chrs,Bryan

Guest Peter Bowcut

Hi Bryan,Thanks for the info, Cowpatz is a very knowledgable guy - I've talked to him on the PMDG forum several times. Was just razzing about Jane Brown of course! Fun program though, can't fly the 747 without it anymore :)

Hi Peter,The FO should blank out the lower EICAS screen after the control check is carried out. The reason the screen is blanked is that any engine anomaly that causes a parameter (normally displayed on the lower screen) to go into the cautionary band (amber) or an exceedence will cause that condition to be displayed as a partial screen. In other words only that parameter on that engine causing the problem will show ie. eng vibration. This popping up is attention getting and draws your attention specifically to the problem. This makes it easier and quicker to make decisions on the takeoff roll. Otherwise you would have to be focused on the lower screen which is not desirable. With regards to Jane missing her briefings. In our operation the cabin crew are normally onboard the aircraft when we arrive. Usually we just brief the Chief purser as we board and he will convey the info onto the others. Occasionally we get on first and the CP will come upstairs for a face to face briefing. I know it's not the most ideal situation with respect to CRM but I dont make the rules.

Cheers

Steve Hall

Bryan,Perhaps you could increase the time from 20 seconds to something higher to give more time for control checks. Or is it possible for us to do it in the files by editing the number?Mike

Thanks! Sounds good. As a suggestion, you should actually try to perform the controls check yourself at a modest pace while timing it to determine the amount of time to put in plus a little extra for slower people.Mike

Guest Peter Bowcut

Steve, thanks very much for the info!