Sign in to follow this  
Wilson

What do you see in these pics?

Besides a beautiful looking Dash 8-300. A lot of blurries, thats what! Tell me, does anyone else get blurries this bad? I'm getting really frustrated with this now! For some reason, FS2K2 will perform and look marvelously on a fresh install of Windows (XP Pro is what I use). But over time, FS performance starts to go downhill, and what you see in these pics is what I get! It seems that when I upgrade or downgrade my graphics driver, it just gets worst. Is there a way to make the textures look as sharp as they do on a fresh install without having to reinstall my OS? This is my current setup:AMD Athlon 1400Abit KG7 mobo512MB PC2100 DDRAsus G-Force 4 Ti4200 128MB video cardVideo Driver Version: 29.42 (was 40.72's, but tried the 29.42's due to a post on this forum)Windows XP ProMaxtor 80GB HDDDoes anyone have an answer before I blow away my setup? (or blow it up!)Regards,Gord NoseworthyNewfoundland, Canada (CYYT)

You think those are blurries...... Wana see mine?Regards,

Flash,My system is pretty similar..AMD Athlon 1333Abit KT7A-Raid mobo512MB PNY SDRAMAbit Siluro G-Force 2 GTS/GeForce 2ProVideo Driver Version: 40.72 (Tried the 29.42's, good, but had a few more fps with the 40.72's)Windows 98seMaxtor 20GB HDDBased on other posts and recommendations I have seen here regarding this subject, I did tweak my FS2002.cfg file in the TERRAIN section and had pretty good results with this setting. Back up your original cfg first and give this a try. Worked for me.(TERRAIN)TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=20.000000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=4TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=50000.00000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=750000.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=0Good luck, Bob

Go back to newer drivers. Those old ones were not designed for your newer card.Lock your framerate. I would suggest 20 to 25 for your system.Hope this helps,Jim

go into you fs2002.cfg and change this:TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4 <---- This will give you nice crisp textures all the way out.Hope that helps

Guest Moghdad

Hmmm, the blurries look pretty realistic to me.

Hi Bob,Thanks for the .cfg edit! I'll try this as soon as I get home from work this evening. I apologize to everyone regarding these pics. Although it may not look that bad in these pics (probably due to me cutting the image size down, and of course, this is the first time posting pics), it looks 10x worse on my screen. I also upgraded to the 40.72 drivers before going to bed last night. Haven't had a chance to really try it out yet. It's weird though how the graphics are so crisp on a fresh install of Windows/FS2K2, yet as time goes on, I tend to see these blurries. Especially after changing drivers (whether a downgrade or upgrade. Usually the latter). I really envy the folks here that do not get these at all. The sim looks so much better when you can see crisp clear textures.Best regards,Gord NoseworthyNewfoundland, Canada (CYYT)

Hi Jim,I have gone back to the 40.72 drivers, however, haven't had a chance to try them out yet. I forgot to mention in my original post that I have my frames locked at 22. Sorry 'bout that. I'm starting to wonder now if perhaps a cpu upgrade would be worth while? Enough to tide me over til FS9 anyway. I'm considering the possibility of an AMD XP 2400+. I wonder would this yield much of an improvement over my AMD 1400?In any case, thanks for your input!Best regards,Gord NoseworthyNewfoundland, Canada (CYYT)

Hi Mark,Thanks! I'll certainly give this a try if Bob's .cfg edit above doesn't pan out for me.Regards,Gord NoseworthyNewfoundland, Canada (CYYT)

Yep! That's snow alright! These pics were taken during my flight from Halifax Intl, Halifax, NS (CYHZ) to Moncton, NB (CYQM). Lots of snow here in the maritimes. Especially here in Newfoundland. Quite cold too! Brrrr.Regards,Gord NoseworthyNewfoundland, Canada (CYYT)

I suggest you try the 29.42 series drivers. I know they are older, but they are stable and lots of simmers have reported good results...Sherm

Spot views seem to always have some far textures out of focus. I say that from looking at shots in the Screen Shot Forum.An upgrade in CPU power can only help. I run a XP1900 and get good frame rates.Hope this helps,Jim

Gord:My two cents worth.My system is pretty close to yours. I am using the 42.30 driver, after going back to the 29.42 and then back again. Quite frankly, I saw very little difference between the two. The newer driver handles dual monitors better on my system. It looks like you have everything set up pretty much the way it should be, or your blurries would be a lot worse.Amazingly, the single biggest factor for me, after getting the basic settings correct, was the terrain mesh setting. I have several FSGenesis upgrades in mesh resolution. If you are running 100% on the mesh setting, try cutting it back to 70-75%. When mesh is set at 100%, I get no significant reduction in framerate, but the blurries become severe.Just another suggestion to throw on the pile.Hope this helps,Wilson