Sign in to follow this  
jordanal

FSUIPC / SimConnect Compatibility

Assuming SimConnect was shipped to the beta testers, did anyone try to run both it and an existing version of FSUIPC simultaniously? Perhaps to try and force a FS9 add-on to work within FSX? Could you comment about your experiences and differences between FSUIPC and SimConnect? Any issues we should be aware of before FSX hits the shelves? Thanks...

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest tmetzinger

For the mostest, bestest information on FSUIPC, head over to Peter Dowson's forum. But essentially, I believe that FSUIPC 4.0 is both a translator (speaking to FSX via SimConnect, and to "legacy" add-ons it appears normal) and of course does all the "value-add" things like control handling, GPS output, etc.I _think_ (haven't asked yet) that based on what I heard at Avsim, there's no need for WideFS, since you can run a SimConnect "client" like FSUIPC4 on a networked computer. So I'd _guess_ that you could have multiple remote computers with FSUIPC4 on them handling things like ActiveSky, Squawkbox, etc.

So, does this mean that to run an external application on a second box to offload resources like I currently do with WideFS, I will need a second licensed copy of FSX on the second PC to act as a Simconnect client? I know I need to catch up with Pete in his forums, I just haven't had time and this forum was so new, I thought this type of basic info would be benificial to kick off this forum...:-beerchug

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest tmetzinger

no. FSUIPC4 will either not need wideclient, or there will be one for it.Pete still has to figure out licensing and costs, but my _HOPE_ is that you can get FSUIPC4 for "free" as part of an add-on upgrade for FSX (the same "locked" functionality you get today). So you might get a copy of FSUIPC4 with the 744 update from PMDG.Then, if you want to unlock it - the question is whether you get a license good for multiple machines (since FSUIPC4 looks like a SimConnect client to FSX), or whether you'll need a license for each PC you interconnect.Even if you end up having to buy two copies of FSUIPC4, It's no worse than paying for FSUIPC and WIDEFS (which I don't think will be necessary anymore).

You won't need a second copy of FSX, because FSX won't need to run on the second computer. You'll just tell the SimConnect config file to look at the other computer for an addon, and it can run back and forth, the add-on accessing FSX over the network.

Guest qurious

You don't need a copy of FSX on the second box ... in general all you need to do is:1. Install SimConnect.msi on the second box (this is the sim connect client)2. Create the SimConnect.xml file on the first box and edit it to allow connections from other boxes3. Create the Simconnect.cfg file on the second box and edit it to connect to the first box4. run FSX on the first box5. run your SimConnect client on the second boxWorks a treat for me with the Google Earth and AI Traffic Viewer clients that I'm building to learn the SimConnect API set.This is how it works in general, for FSUIPC specifically you will need to check Pete Dowson's FSUIPC documentation of course, over at http://forums.simflight.com/viewforum.php?f=54

>Even if you end up having to buy two copies of FSUIPC4, It's>no worse than paying for FSUIPC and WIDEFS (which I don't>think will be necessary anymore).WideFS is built into the same .dll as FSUIPC now. However, to activate WideFS will require a separate license, just as it does for FS9...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I cannot find SimConnect.msi in my FSX folder.I have the retail version.OK I found it on disk 1 and will try to install it whatever...may remember to let you all know whats up?well, it is only a dll with no instructions on where to put it. I think it is only a development dll used for programming add-ons, not for the street guy??...allen

Guest qurious

You only need SimConnect.msi if you want to run SimConnect programs from a machine that does not have FSX installed on.It contains the runtime dll that makes this possible.