Sign in to follow this  
Guest danowat

VFR scenery users please help!.

Guest danowat

Hi All,Could anyone who has this scenery on a compressed NTFS disk tell me how much less space it takes up than the advertised 1.8GB.CheersDan.

Are you trying to do a comparison of FAT32 vs NTFS. It will vary depending on the size of your FAT32 diskdrive partitions. The larger the FAT32 partition, the bigger the cluster size and vice versa. NTFS has one cluster size.http://www.xmission.com/~comphope/jargon/hdd.htmThere are varied reasons for using FAT or NTFS or a combination of both.

For those who don't know:NTFS supports compression which can reduce the size of files, at the cost of slightly lower disk performance.To compress a folder or file in WinXP, right click the file/folder, choose properties, click the advanced button and check the compress button. Depending on the size of the files, it will take a while. If you change your mind, it's as easy to uncompress the files again. It's not like when you zip the files with winzip, you don't have to do anything to use the files, it's completely transparent to the user.Doing this with the Aircraft folder made the folder roughly half the original size for me with no side-effects, and compressing the Addon scenery made it 3/4 the original size. I don't recommend compressing the scenery/texture folders, though because you might experience more "blurries" if you do. I still have my splashscreens and aircraft compressed and that has saved me over 1GB of drive space.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest danowat

Hi Jimmi,Well thats is it, I want to save disk space, I did'nt really want to take up 1.8GB of space with the VFR scenery so wondered how much less it is being compressed.As for the performace/more blurries, I don't notice any difference between compressed/uncompressed.Dan.