Sign in to follow this  
Guest warrenkm

Terribly Frustrated

Guest warrenkm

Well, I've always been a good hardware guy but notsomuch at software and it looks like simconnect is no exception. I have been banging my head on the table trying to get it setup with Visual C++ Express, compile the Throttle example, and make it work. Clearly, I am missing something of vital importance because it certainly isn't working. 1) I do not understand the interaction/timing of the xml files with FSX. Is there a good reference to explain what,how, and when these things are accessed?2) I compile the throttle example from the SDK in vc++ express and it seems fine. I launch it from the command window with FSX loaded and I get a connected message from the console but that's it. There is no return info on throttle position and pressing keys makes no difference. Do I need to expand upon this program to test functionality? Again, not being familiar with all the bazillion details of programming in windows I am not even sure if there isn't more I need to do to this program... I wish FSX would run in LINUX!3) The placement of the exe.xml and simconnect.xml doesn't make sense to me. I do not have an "Application Data" folder on my computer. Perhaps because I'm setup for single user, but there is no c:Documents and SettingApplication Data !! There is, however, a directory of 'Flight Simulator X Files' in my Desktop/Documents and Settings folder. Is this where it looks? Putting SimConnect.ini in there worked as it launched the viewer but I'm a little fuzzy about what to do with the .xml files. Putting them in there did nothing..I would sure appreciate a little kick in the butt in the right direction here.Thanks,Kevin

Guest lc0277

>>2) I compile the throttle example from the SDK in vc++ express>and it seems fine. I launch it from the command window with>FSX loaded and I get a connected message from the console but>that's it. There is no return info on throttle position and>pressing keys makes no difference. Do I need to expand upon>this program to test functionality? Like many SDK samples, the Throttle Control waits for the "SimStart" event before doing the real job. Since this event is sent only when you start a new flight, you either need to- start the throttle example before your flight (when you are in the menu, or put it in EXE.xml file so that it will be loaded by FSX)- or restart your flight (ctrl-$)>>3) The placement of the exe.xml and simconnect.xml doesn't>make sense to me. I do not have an "Application Data" folder>on my computer. Check that you enabled "show hidden files" in your windows explorer settings.

Guest warrenkm

No, it's probably not the best thing! But, if you're going to jump, it might as well be from high-up. So, I do feel ridiculous, it was just the MS thing of hiding folders. How annoying. I got the example up and running, added some some custom events, and it seems fine. I just needed that and a few hour crash course in C++ syntax. I need to figure out how to wrap this thing up for Python usage.. Well, maybe some day. Thanks for your help.Kevin

Guest Jacky Brouze

>So, I do feel ridiculous, it was just the MS thing of hiding >folders. How annoying.Don't feel ridiculous ! The simpliest the error, the longest the way to find the solution :-)A+Jacky

Guest warrenkm

Yeah, after that little glitch everything else is working fine thusfar. I have a little encoder I've wired to a cygnal microcontroller which sends and receives com information over ethernet. Works great in Python. Now I just need to figure out how to deal with TCP in C++ and integrate with the simconnect apps. This is pretty durn fun!