Sign in to follow this  
Guest joe_hotchkiss

FSX as a visualisation tool - no physics

Guest joe_hotchkiss

It looks like I can't disable the FS physics engine, so my question is -Is it possible to create a flight model such that FS will not interfere with it, allowing the plane to continue with the speed and direction I assign from the SDK? Maybe something like claiming an enormous wing and rudder area with tiny or non-existant control surfaces and no drag?Background:I want to use FSX as a visualisation tool for another program. I have flight information from the ultimate physics engine - a real aircraft. OK, more of a scale model, but still 'real'. The aircraft position and attitude information is available along with control surface positions.Unfortunately, the updates don't come very often and FS applies its internal physics engine in between samples. Worse, I don't have a proper configuration file for the aircraft and the result is a rather awkward dipping or swooping motion. For example, if FS thinks the plane is going too slow, it starts to nosedive before being caught by the next update. Setting a very small or very large max_gross_weight in the aircraft.cfg didn't help. I'm using the Cessna 172 files and just replacing the .mdl file.I've searched this forum for a way of disabling the FS physics engine and the nearest I found to a definitive answer was this from notasenator:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...346&mesg_id=346"I don't see anything anywhere to suggest that a wholesale replacement of the FDE is possible."I'm not familiar enough with the aircraft.cfg to change much there and have no idea how to do anything to the copy of Cessna172SP.air.If I pause the simulation I don't get the aircraft velocity generating (relatively) smooth movement between updates, and the control surfaces won't move either.Are there any books or websites that describe how to create models for previous versions of FlightSim?Any suggestions would be appreciated.Joe

>I want to use FSX as a visualisation tool for another program.> ...>Unfortunately, the updates don't come very often and FS>applies its internal physics engine in between samples. The usual way out of this is to use Slew mode and control everything. Naturally you need to feed data often and regularly in order to get smooth motion, so your feed rate must be the visual frame rate you expect -- something more than 10 fps and prefereably 20 or more. That should be easily possible, as 20 fps gives you 50 mSecs per cycle.If your data is not available that often you have to interpolate. Use the previous figures to predict the next. It is more important to get a regular update to keep the frame rate even than to hit the values that are provided precisely at the time they are provided.The only unwanted results of using slew mode are the lack of correct instrument readings -- if you want to use an FS panel you'd ned to populate it with gauges which are programmed to show your information, not the non-existent FS results -- and of course the sounds of flying, which again you'd have to drive if you needed them.RegardsPete Dowson

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen