Sign in to follow this  
Guest BADev

Newbie question - Real airline data from FDR

Guest BADev

HiFirstly, I know very little about FSX and Simconnect.I work in development for British Airways in the UK and we are looking at using FSX in the airline for two things. First - Route briefings to familiarise crews with difficult or unfamiliar approaches. (These would be generated by FDR taken the specific a/c on a real approach)Second - Replay interesting flights. i.e. gear late deployed, runway excursions, go-arounds etc.Has anyone tried this before?Is this doable using FSX and Simconnect? I've seen queires posted here using setdata??? where lat,long,pitch,roll are set etc which could be a way to go?There are commercial packages that do this but they are very expensive and do not offer the same level of detail as FSX. Plus I like the idea of being able to modify/control the output without expensive updates and being at the mercy of the supplier.Any information would be greatfully rec'd

Guest BADev

fyi - it is doable but you have to work around some major limitations in the SDK. Its good but could be a lot better. I'd like better documentation about file formats etcPaul

Hey Paul,Which limitations in the SDK would those be, and are they documentation problems or exposed abilities limited? Be sure and send any SDK issues to tell_fs@microsoft.com, we'll continue to release SDK updates periodically.For playing back FDR data I would think putting the user's aircraft into FREEZE mode and then just moving them around by setting the LatLonAltPBH and whatever other relevant data you have available - make sure you are using the SP1A version of the SDK, as the original SDK didn't have the FREEZE ability on the user's aircraft.