Sign in to follow this  
Guest UlfB

Simconnect errors in my system event log

Guest UlfB

Hi,I noticed that I got three errors in my system event log at the same time. The source is "SideBySide" for all three erros. I run a Swedish WinXP so I've tryed to translate the messages:The first error message say that SimConnect cannot be found.The second message starts with "Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect...".And finally there is an error in the log saying "Generate Activation Context failed for F:Microsoft Flight Simulator XModulesFSUIPC4.dll.".I found in my folder C:WINDOWSWinSxS that I have two SimConnect folders:x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.60905.0_x-ww_429211e9andx86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.61242.0_x-ww_35e8ee9aFSX and FSUIPC seem to work OK, but still I would to get rid of these errors. Anybody got any idea? Should I remove both SimConnect folders and run a FSX repair from the DVD? Wasn't SimConnect updated with the SP1? And will a repair get my SP1 SimConnect.dll back? I've installed a lot of FSX add ons and I'm a little bit nervous that the repair will mess my FSX up.Any advice would be very appreciated.Ulf BWinXP Pro SP2, FSX SP1

>I noticed that I got three errors in my system event log at>the same time. The source is "SideBySide" for all three erros.The system of SidebySide versions of SimConnect allows a Simconnect client, such as FSUIPC4, to find out what versions are actually installed and to pick the one, out of those, which it prefers to use.Since version 4.10 FSUIPC4 has done exactly that.In order to determine which versions are present it has to actually "try" them -- it issues a manifest "probe" to see whch ones, of those it knows about, are installed.Unfortunately, each time it does a probe for one which is not installed, Windows logs three Errors.There appears no way to suppress these, nor any alternative way of testing the correct SidebySide installation of such versions.Depending upon which version of FSUIPC4 you have installed, and what SimConnects you have installed, you will get a variable number of suchg errors logged, ranging from 0 upwards, in threes.>FSX and FSUIPC seem to work OK, but still I would to get rid>of these errors.If everything is working, why are they bothering you? If you want to complain about them please direct your complaints to the Windows programming section of Microsoft. Maybe one day they might fix this and provide some better facilities. Maybe there are some already, but if so they are well buried!RegardsPete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Guest UlfB

Pete,Thanks a lot for your explanation :)Ulf B

"Thanks a lot for your explanation"Yes, Pete, I second that!I too came across this today. For some strange reason I hadn't noted this before. Ever since a thorny problem a few months ago, which took some time to resolve, I have been in the habit of checking the Event Viewer on a regular basis and I'm fairly certain these errors were not there until today. However, your explanation appears to indicate that I am wrong and that perhaps I've not been checking as often as I believed I had. My usual routine is to check for anything unusual and then clear all the events ready for the next session or two.I have FSUIPC4 version 4.1.6.0 installed.The following images illustrate what I am seeing following a single run of FSX.First, from the Event Viewer, System Error entries in order from bottom of the list (1st error to appear) to top (latest error):http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/177837.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/177832.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/177833.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/177834.jpgNext, the results for SimConnect.dll produced by Search:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/177835.jpgAnd lastly, the Properties Version page for the SimConnect.dll file in the FS_Earth folder:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/177836.jpgPete, can I assume all is well as it stands?Thanks!MikeEdit: I should perhaps have added that I am still on XP Home and likely to remain so for the forseeable future.Edit (2): Would it help to overwrite the older versions of SimConnect.dll with version 10.0.61242.0? I'm assuming that is the latest version of this file. It does, however beg the question as to why FS Earth is using an older version? Maybe it also uses SideBySide to check first for a later version and uses that instead. Perhaps this is all far too simplistic an approach, but I felt I should ask anyway ;)

"Would it help to overwrite the older versions of SimConnect.dll with version 10.0.61242.0? I'm assuming that is the latest version of this file. It does, however beg the question as to why FS Earth is using an older version?"Okay, I tried it and it makes no difference. Also, I found that FS Earth doesn't seem to mind which version is active in the FS_Earth folder, so I have reverted back to the older version meantime.I guess I've answered my own question. Apart from these reported errors in the Event Viewer, which Pete has explained can safely be ignored, all is indeed well :)Thanks again Pete. If you saw my post, I don't blame you for not responding.Mike

>Pete, can I assume all is well as it stands?Yes. Whether you see these errors (in 3's by the way, for some reason, even though it is all from one Windows API call) or not, and how many, depends on two things:1. How many versions of Simconnect you have installed.2. How many versions of Simconnect the version of FSUIPC4 you have knows about.During development Betas of new versions of SimConnect there will be more errors because the (constantly updated) versions of FSUIPC will be looking for the Beta SimConnects as well as the officially released ones you are likely to have. Otherwise, between such peiods, you wouldn't see any erros unless you had not installed the latest FSX update(s).You might say that I should hold off the Beta checking versions of FSUIPC from user release, but this would mean running two parallel updates, one for users for new facilities or bug fixes, and one for FSX development testing. I do not want to do that: apart from being a lot more work it is likely to introduce too many errors where partial changes are made to two different copies of the source.I have asked the tech bods in Microsoft is there's a way of checking these SimConnect versions without causing error entries, and maybe I'll get a solution one day. Meanwhile, please just ignore them.>Edit (2): Would it help to overwrite the older versions of>SimConnect.dll with version 10.0.61242.0? I'm assuming that is>the latest version of this file.No, don't do that. Don't mess with the WinSxS system at all. It won't help in any case as the checking is also related to those horrible long path names and also registry stuff. All you'd do by placing the incorrect DLL version into the wrong folder is mess up any program which was expecting facilities X and got facilities Y, with potential crashes resulting.>It does, however beg the>question as to why FS Earth is using an older version?I don't know what it uses, but most current SimConnect applications will use the original (older) base version (60905) as that is all they can guarantee should be present. And also don't forget most products don't come out with an update every month like FSUIPC.;-)RegardsPete

>Thanks again Pete. If you saw my post, I don't blame you for>not responding.As announced in my Support Forum, I've been on Holiday. Only just got back yesterday.Pete

"As announced in my Support Forum, I've been on Holiday. Only just got back yesterday."Sorry Pete, I didn't see that. As I worked my way through it before posting I realized that you had already provided all the info I needed to know. However, I posted anyway with the images as I thought it might help others who also may have noted the same 'problem'.Thanks a lot for taking the time to provide your further very comprehensive reply.Hope you had an enjoyable and very restful holiday.Regards,Mike

>Hope you had an enjoyable and very restful holiday.Yes, thanks -- though 'restful' only in the sense that "a change is as good as a rest". I always have pretty active holidays as my work is rather sedentary. ;-)RegardsPete