Sign in to follow this  
Guest auman03

Connecting using a switch

Guest auman03

I have a program on a computer that feeds the simconnect data to the computer running FSX. I'm able to connect to Simconnect if the computers are hooked up to a network that uses DHCP. If I hook up the computers to a switch and assign a static IP, simconnnect will not connect. Has anyone else seen this issue? What could I be doing wrong? I'm entering the correct ip data in the SimConnect.cfg.

Guest lc0277

Are you able to reach each machine over the network (using the command line ping utility) ?Are the server-side connection parameters correctly configured (check using netstat -an when fsx is running) ? Are you using a plain data-link layer switch or has it some filtering capacities that may block packets ?Eventually check your firewall software at both sides, if any

Guest auman03

No, it was just my problem. I was not seeing the connection using netstat, so I took another look at the SDK. I was forgetting that I had to change the XML file also.Thanks for the help.

If you check in the config directory under the SimConnect section of the SDK subdirs, there's an example .XML file that shows how to specify the server params in such a way that it will match any local IP address your hardware may have. Basically, for IPv4, you specify 0.0.0.0 for the address, and this will bind to all available interfaces/IPs. Then you only need to change the .CFG file for the client to match the new server IP addresss (and you could try using the server computers name instead of the IP address in the clients .CFG file and see if that works in both instances).