Sign in to follow this  
Guest TonyPiech

Attempt to Configure SimConnect

Guest TonyPiech

I can't seem to get SimConnect configured properly. I made a mistake by not removing my addons when installing SP1 and SDK SP1a so I did a clean re-install of FSX (RTM), reloaded SP1, reloaded the SDK and reloaded SDK SP1a. No addons have been added. I have a VISTA Ultimate computer. To test that SimConnect is configured properly I've activated the application in folder: C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator X SDKSDKCore Utilities KitSimConnect SDKSamplesAI TrafficAI TrafficAI Traffic being a test application for SimConnect, "clicking-on" AI Traffic will activate the application, a box will open saying SimConnect is configured properly. When I attempt to activate the test application I receive a text box titled "AI Traffic.exe - Application Error", it then says

Guest TonyPiech

Daniel,I believe that I installed the Runtimes SP1 as indicated in your post above, an application file called vcredist_x86. It ran so fast, not sure that installed, ran it again to be sure, again ran quickly, no confirmation that it intalled but it could have, but don't know for sure.. I've got Vista Ultimate, so am not sure if this is normal, the run box just closed quickly. Tried the AI Traffic file again to test if SimConnect is running on my system, unfortunately, same result, with the same error message as referenced in my initial post. Not sure what else I can do.

Guest Daniel42

The quick install is ok I think.I think the error you get is because of a dll that can't be loaded. You would see this error when trying to start a .Net program when the .Net framework is not installed. But the framework is installed by default on Vista.You could look at: %windir%winsxs (type this in the windows explorer address bar)You should see a long list of folders inside the WinSXS folder, among them should be 2 FlightSimulator.SimConnect entries. Look at the 'Date Modified' column. If you installed FSX and FSX SP1 shortly after each other, the date/times for both entries should be roughly equal.On my last re-install they were not. It seemed the uninstall did not completely remove one of the two and then the re-install did not completely re-install the SimConnect stuff.I deleted both the SimConnect.dll files inside the folders and than executed both SimConnect.msi files in the SDK. There is one in "SimConnect SDKLegacyInterfacesFSX-RTM" and the other is in "SimConnect SDKlib"From what I've read deleting the DLL's can be very hard on Vista, but you could at least try to run the MSI's without deleting the DLL's.Daniel

Guest TonyPiech

Daniel, I did as instructed in your post above, same result when running the AI traffic Test Program, a no go. Looking at the WinSxS folder I don't see any FlightSimulator.SimConnect entries however after running the two msi files, two FlightSimulator.SimConnect extension .cat entries appear in the manifests folder with the same date a close timeframe one minute apart with today's date (11/15).There's no flight simimulator DLLs that I could find in the WinSxS folder, none showed-up other than those in the Manifests subfolder. Unfortunately, still a no go, I'm stumped trying to get this process (SimConnect) to work, maybe when I was doing things to tweak FSX to get SimConnect I did something inadvertently?? I re-installed with a clean FSX (RTM), didn't add any addons, and am still stim'ed.Is there a utility somewhere that I can load that can solve my problem? I don't want to uninstall and re-install VISTA to get SimConnect working or wait to get another computer.daniel