Sign in to follow this  
Guest scotthendry

different responses to aileron and elevator

Guest scotthendry

Can someone tell me if FSX or simconnect "interpret" the control inputs to the ailerons differently to the control inputs to the elevators?I am using the Simconnect variablesRudder PositionElevator Position andAileron Position.The documentation states that these variables should range between-16K and 16K which I found is wrong. They should be set between -1.0 and 1.0 Which I now do. However...I find that the on-screen response of the ailerons is definitely non-linear compared to the value input, while the elevator response seems to be linear related to the control input. Another way of saying this is that the ailerons seem sluggish around the midpoint and then accelerate towards the extremeties, where the movement of the elevator seem uniform throughout its travel.

Guest Daniel42

Doesn't that depend on joystick configuration outside FSX?Daniel

Guest scotthendry

Daniel:Thanks for your input. What I didn't mention is that I'm not using a joystick. The inputs are coming from my simpit. I have three linear pots being read by a PIC microcontroller sending the data to FSX via Simconnect. In essence, I'm just reading values from the pots and using those values to update the variables in FSX. Although all three pots are linear, I get a different response to control movement of the ailerons to that from the elevator and rudder. The on-screen response of elev and rud seem proportionate to the physical control input while the aileron seems to have a de-sensitized area in about the middle third of the travel. THe on-screen yokes hardly move when I turn the real yokes until they're turned past this de-sensitized area, then they seem to catch up with the real yokes in the last third of travel. Weird.Any takers?

Guest Daniel42

Hmm, the only thing I can think of is that it depends on how the animation is implemented. Do you see the same effect in all planes, how about default vs add-on?You could try to compare the values of these variables:- ELEVATOR POSITION- AILERON POSITIONvs- YOKE Y POSITION- YOKE X POSITION- AILERON LEFT DEFLECTION- AILERON LEFT DEFLECTION PCT - AILERON RIGHT DEFLECTION - AILERON RIGHT DEFLECTION PCT - AILERON AVERAGE DEFLECTION - ELEVATOR DEFLECTION - ELEVATOR DEFLECTION PCT (It seems Aileron is the only one with a 'average' deflection variable)Daniel

Guest scotthendry

Daniel:Interesting suggestion. I looked at all these variables and wondered what the differences were. I guess it's time to get out the code cutting tools and check it out.I wonder if the reason for the average deflection with the aileron has something to do with it also having left and right deflection whereas elevator only has deflection.Thanks again for your input.