Sign in to follow this  
Guest zzmikezz

Bizarre SimConnect-Related Issue

Well, that's interesting. If they get permission to distribute that file they will have managed to convince MS to allow them to distribute code that is specific to the version of the MSFS you purchased. Which means it supports/doesn't support specific sim data based on which version's being distributed.Now here's the really, really big question... what makes them think they MUST distribute the DLL with their software?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest zzmikezz

WarpD,As I mentioned in my initial post, their Play.dll needs to work not just with FSX but also with FS9/FS8 installations that don't necessarily have a companion FSX installation.Therefore in the general case they need to distrbute SimConnect.dll along with Play.dll, either that or do a static link with SimCOnnect.lib, if there is such a thing. Either way, Microsoft's permission would be required.I'll be working with them to see whether there are alternative technical approaches that would not require SimCOnnect for FS9/8, in order to increase the number of managment options, but at the moment this is where we are and why.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxToday I'm saying "we" because I have just joined their organization, on the business side. No, I don't want to name the organization. Yes, Microsoft knows who we are.

I'm not really concerned with who 'they' are... :)I am concerned about the goals. Here's why: Microsoft has always attempted to ensure 3PDs are on a level playing field. By allowing a single group to step outside the EULA regarding SimConnect would make it an uneven field. This is counter to their current approach and could lead to issues. I, and a few other developers will be watching this to see where it goes.Also your friend's approach to the use of SimConnect actually breaks FSX with regards to SimConnect functionality. SimConnect is loaded by FSX, not any 3rd party application. By loading it yourself, you're in fact creating a separate instance of the SimConnect code. I suspect this is the primary source of why your friends have all the problems they currently have. SimConnect simply isn't designed to be utilized in the manner they're trying to use it.Another note... FSUIPC is the 'SimConnect' for FS9. In fact, SimConnect is ACES approach to replacing FSUIPC in the long run.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest zzmikezz

Ed,Just because I've taken the initialitive with Microsoft on this matter does not mean that we're asking for special treatment. I'm assuming that if they do say "yes" for us then it would be "yes" for all, and that this would be one of the reasons for their concern about the technical situation.But on this matter, just like in the piracy threads, I'm not content to say "status quo, nothing can be done". Microsoft is a business like any other. If the business is approached in the right way, one gets a hearing, which is a process that has begun.A hearing doesn't guarantee an outcome. What it does guarantee is that we have been Good Guys and went to them instead of seeming to be sneaking around behind their backs. (Sneaking around was not management's intent, it was simply that they had not thought about the issue till I brought it to their attention. They hadn't thought about it because the dev is an independent.)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxNow ... I'm well aware of the FSUIPC issue though our management is not. I plan to take it up with our outside developer, but he is out of the country, is incommunicado for the time being, and he does not know me from Adam's off ox.From my viewpoint we are simply trying to avoid a parallel maintenance situation, at least for the short term, and I'm asking that Microsoft assess its copyright-motivated legal position to see whether they can live with what we would like to do, so that we can proceed with other aspects of the business in parallel with trying to bring this whole situation to a resolution that makes sense both technically and legally.

Oh, don't get me wrong... I'm not knocking you for trying. I'm curious to see what MS will say in the long run. There are separate versions of SimConnect because there are features supported in newer versions that are not supported in prior versions. As well, there are specific features for the Acceleration version that are not available in any other version at all. In other words, MS set up the licensing to protect their product(s), both FS and Acceleration. So I'll be watching to see what they decide to do. If they open it up to all, then it's a significant departure on their prior concerns regarding protection of Acceleration specific features.Your developer is stepping outside the 'box' by loading their own copy, and I seriously doubt ACES will agree to support that decision. Though I will admit I can not speak for them. ;)

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest zzmikezz

I do appreciate your help, Ed. One way or another we will get this problem solved, I just want us to be squeaky-clean legally. If that means FSX SP2 only for SimConnect, with FSUIPC for the rest of it, so be it.