Sign in to follow this  
larshgf

Textlabels in scenery via SimConnect ?

I wonder if it is possible to connect a datafile to FSX via SimConnect??The datafile contains lines with a textstring (name of location) and Latitude and Longitude for that location. These data should be handled over to FSX where the text-label are going to be written at the proper place (defined bu latitude and longitude) so the users can see the name of the relevant locations as they fly by the location in FSX. A program like FSDiscover can write the textlabels like that. Best RegardsLars

In the FSX scenery it must somehow be possible to show locations by textlabels which are defined by latitude and longitude. It can for instance be small villages that you want to locate in the scenery when you pass them. There seems to be two problems to solve here...1) Pass the data (textlabel as a string, latitude, longitude) to FSX. - I Imagine that this can be done via SimConnect ?- I imagine a menu in FSX from which I can select a textfile with the locations I want to be shown ?2)Is there some kind of file from which FSX will be able to show textlabels in the scenery?- Is the file going to have a special extension?- Is the file going to be placed in a special folder? - Shall some kind of "flag" inside FSX be true in order to make FSX "look" for this file with the textlabel, latitude and longitude?I'm very curios about this little programming "duty", so I will appreciate so much to get a response on these problems.Best RegardsLars - DK

Nowbody of you hardcore FSX SDK programmers have the slightest idea about to to solve this problem.?? Just a little hint will be appreciated too... :-)I have tried to ast the samer question in the Scenry Design Forum here: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=36233&page= but over there they are convinced that you are wise guys to answer this!Best RegardsLars

Guest AVN8tr

Sorry but SimConnect isn't easy it requires you to know how to program for Windows. If I have assumed wrong and you do have a lot of experience programming for windows MFC/.NET then please read the sections on windows Event and Thread handling again then try your luck with the SimConnect library. But if i were writing your program the simplest method I can think of right off the bat is creating small simobjects and having them float over those points of interest. And attaching something like an ATC tag to it. Textlabels are for Windows forms only.