Sign in to follow this  
Guest great_auk

simconnect remote connection woes

Guest great_auk

Well, this is my first post here so please be gentle. I am having some problems connecting to FSX via simconnect through my home network from my laptop to my main FSX machine. Just to save some bandwidth, here is what I have tried.I have tried to get FSMap and FSEarth to work with no success.I have installed TCPMon to verify that the connect request get through the firewall. For example, when I connect through FSMap configured to use port 500, I see the connection attempt on my FSX (the server machine) from the client but FSX does not repsond. The errors indicate that there is no listener on port 500.I even temporarily installed Apache web server and was able to run it successfully on port 500 and connected from my laptop just to prove to myself that port 500 is clear. (I have uninstalled Apache now)I have seen the connection attempt via the simconnect log files, and the firewall log files. All looks like a valid request is coming in.So... what does all this mean? It seems that the communications flow is all good. The problem simply seems to be that FSX is not listening on the port. Perhaps I do not have it installed correctly. I am pretty sure that my simconnect.xml file is valid - I'll try and post it when I am at home (I'm at work now - ssshhhh).I have FSX SP2 (via acceleration) and have installed the SDK as well as the SDK sp1 and sp2. I also found the simconnect.msi and installed it.Is there a way to figure out if simconnect is actually alive and well? A simple little tester would be useful for this - just to let me know that simconnect is responding. I am at the point where I'll try anything so don't be shy asking questions. You won't offend me - I have a feeling that the problem is between my chair and keyboard :D

Most likely its an error in either the SimConnect.XML file on the FSX machine, or the SimConnect.CFG file on the client machine.Have you tried to connect either client app to FSX while running them on the same machine?You might also want to try using a port number higher than 1024 (I seem to remember there are some special rules for ports below 1024, but don't recall exaclty what they are :-> ).When you get home, post both your SimConnect.XML file and your SimConnect.CFG file, we'll need to see both.

Guest great_auk

OK - here's some more info. I am using Windows XP Pro on both computers by the way.FSMAP does work on the same computer (good question)Here are my files that you asked for.SimConnect.cfg from client 'puter in d:Program FilesFSMAP dir[simConnect]Protocol=IPv4Address=192.168.0.101Port=500MaxReceiveSize=4096DisableNagle=0And my SimConnect.xml file from C:Documents and SettingsPaulApplication DataMicrosoftFSX<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>SimConnect Server ConfigurationSimConnect.xmlFalseFalseIPv4global64

50004096FalseFalseIPv4local64
500Good luck and THANKS!

OK, the port being listened on by the server is 5000, so you just need to change the Port=500 in the SimConnect.CFG file to Port=5000 and it should work.

Guest great_auk

oh Darn. If only life were that easy. At your suggestion I had tried port 5000 ( > 1024) instead of port 500. I guess I clipped the text from my file before I reverted it back to 500. So... I did in fact try it with both files set to use port 500 as well as both ports set to 5000. Still no joy. Do you see anything else wrong in the file? I'm not sure what the local section in the simconnect.xml file is all about. While we are at it, do you happen to know if these products (like FSMap) use simconnect when they are running on the local computer?