Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

Thanks, Tom

Oh! you lovely man. Missions are the very soul of the new FS and are one of the most essential elements in making this version of FS the first to be dedicated to fun!Best regards.Luis

here is a question, what is the mission editor like? I want to base my virtual airline around missions.does it have a GUI? or will it be difficult like C++ programming in a text editor??thanks, i would love to see some screenshots of italso, would this type of mission be possible?say to have someone fly out some food/cargo to a remote field (not even a regular listed airport) and then as the player would fly over several times and circle the airstrip, could you program it to have the "village people" come out and look around?ciao!Brian S

Ciao!

Guest tmetzinger

The Deluxe version of FSX (trust me, you want this one) comes with the 1.0 release of the FSX Software Development Kit, which includes tools for creating missions. Missions are basically combinations of triggers (like elapsed times, flying through a specified airspace, events like lowering the gear) and events (like changing the weather, starting an animation sequence like blowing up the oil rig, playing a sound file, spawning an AI aircraft or animal). However, the tools are rudimentary. So I fully expect that an early third-party product will be a mission-builder, just like we always get Panel tools and Scenery tools, etc. And of course these may be free or payware.I want a mission called "Eastern Freight Dog" where our hero, the FedEx feeder caravan pilot, at 4:00 AM on the last leg of his duty, is flying back from Harrisburg, PA to Cumberland MD, on a beautiful night. Unfortunately, as soon as he enters the mountainous area, he encounters a slow moving warm front and soon is in the clouds. Flying the localizer approach to runway 23, which includes a nice hairy procedure turn in a mountain valley, some moderate rime ice is encountered, but the boots manage to take care of it. Then, after breaking out at 1500 feet (700' AGL), the pilot is greeted by a family of 4 deer on the runway. The pilot will be required to flash the landing lights off and on three times before they will clear the runway, or else go around. Finally, on a successful landing, and calling ATC to close the flight plan and describing the fun, the pilot should receive a radio call asking if he wants a change of underwear. Alternatively, in honor of one of the Chief Pilot of MidContinent Air, there should be a mission where a baggage cart overturns, spilling out hundreds of chicks (the poultry kind) onto the ramp.

"...Alternatively, in honor of one of the Chief Pilot of MidContinent Air, there should be a mission where a baggage cart overturns, spilling out hundreds of chicks (the poultry kind) onto the ramp."True story, I think we've seen or can imagine the cartons with tiny holes that carry hundreds of tiny chirping baby chicks during shipping.Back in the 80's Terra Haute IN. used to have a clearing house for the US mail, on the airport, that was brought in during the night and shipped back out at sunrise. A 727 was being loaded by a new loader. A hand carried box of baby chicks were either mistakenly or just misplaced on the main gear door, which formed a shelf, during the loading process. We should know that when the gear was cycled that door opens to accept the main tires. It was a Captain in another airplane waiting for take-off that reported baby chicks all over the runway.

Guest JohnC

Here's a simple mission for starters, which I think would help real pilots absorb their lessons at flying school....taxi to a virtual box on an apron....have the preflight check and engine start dictated to you audibly in your own voice....take off and fly into some other virtual box that triggers an emergency e.g. loss of an engine on takeoff roll, then (quickly) audibly dictate the emergency procedures to get out of the problem. It seems to me that listening to an audible series of steps to go through preflight and anything else with long complex procedures......as opposed to flipping manual pages..... would allow you to very quickly master stuff real time. I recognize this isn't as much fun as dropping a flour bomb at a suspected drug dealers mansion on Maui....that comes later.

Guest TPN_Turnip

The differant missions that can be made with this is BEYOND the imagination. Man o man, just think of the possibilities! I want one where you're on approach on a nice clear COLD day. And as you flare and touch down, you realize that you are on a SOLID sheet of ice. THEN... you apply power to take back off and the prop torque throws your plane to the right and you poop your pants. ( Tacoma Narrows Airport - January, 2003. )TurnipSystem Specs:P4 3.0SB LiveATI Radeon X800 GTO (256)1 Gig DDR RAM