Sign in to follow this  
Guest Patrick_Waugh

Creating new Mission Categories.

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Following along with the SDK sample, we decided to try to create a new category.So, per the directions...Microsoft Flight Simulator XCategoriesBFSCategories.xml<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>AceXML DocumentBFSCategories.xmlLearn to fly in the soup, and land to live to tell about it.Instrument Flight Trainingbanner_ifr.bmpInterestingly, the Category dropdown in FSX shows only "All Categories" and does not populate with any categories. The Mission still shows up in the default list under "Beginner" missions.Anyone know how to fix this? We can't get the categories to populate at all.

Guest Thad

I haven't installed the SDK yet but try adding your category to the FSCategories.xml file instead of creating a new BFSCategories.xml file. I added the following with the exception of the image name and the Instrument Flight Traning category was displayed after restarting FSX.Learn to fly in the soup, and land to live to tell about it.Instrument Flight Trainingbanner_ifr.bmpEDIT:You can use a seperate categories file but you need to make sure you have the mission(s) in the Missons folder with identified by same category id used above; otherwise your category won't show. For example in the Missions folder you could have the following:(FSX Folder)MissionsInstrument Flight TrainingNavigation(Mission Files)(FSX Folder)MissionsInstrument Flight TrainingApproach and Landing(Mission Files)Hope this helps.-Thad

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Thad,Thanks for your thoughts. If you haven't installed the SDK yet... not sure how you came up with this.Actually, I have tried all of this, and never get any categories populating the drop-down. In fact, I'm not sure I ever had them to begin with, so something must be screwed up.

Guest Thad

Patrick,"If you haven't installed the SDK yet... not sure how you came up with this." Trial and error but it seemed logical. Anyway, I installed the SDK this afternoon and created a test mission. The steps above worked for me. I may have misunderstood your statement about Categories only showing All Categories. To clearify when you select missions in FSX you don't see any Categories even the default FSX mission categories? If so do you have the FSCategories.xml file in your Categories folder? If I remove that file I get the same results no mission categories.Hope you're able to find a solution.-Thadhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/159402.jpg

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Thad,Yes, you are correct. I do have the .xml file, and it appears correct.I put in a support ticket to MS for help after a clean reinstall did not fix the issue. They have been really helpful in the past. Last time I contacted support on Explorer Beta2, they actually logged onto my computer remotely and fixed things for me.