Sign in to follow this  
Guest Toucan

Alpine Soaring Mission

Guest Toucan

I flew this mission for just about an hour and a half, hit each turn point and got to the finish line then landed at the airfield near the finish line (Zell Am See airport). Got a mission failed mission because I didn't land at Zell Am See (although I was in the middle of the runway). Luckely I saved the mission during the approach and landed again, this time stopping short of where the green arrows are pointing me to (on the parking ramp), again mission failed because I didnt land at "Zell Am See" airfield. I've tried landing from approaches on both sides of the runway, on the parking ramp, etc. About 5 tries at different spots and still get MISSION FAILED because I "didn't land at Zell Am See Airport" even though I did. Voice says "I see you've landed help, we'll pack up and come get you"- Is there a specific time requirement I'm supposed to meet?- Is there a grass field near that I'm supposed to land on?- Any other ideas on what I did or didn't do to get credit for the mission?Any assistance would be appreciated...Thanks

Did the timer stop when you crossed the finish line? Are you using the mission compass or just using the GPS or the panel mounted nav gauge?You are supposed to cross the finish line in the air then land at Zell Am See, and there is no time limit (although your time is very good).I suspect that you missed a waypoint because the GPS system will assume you've reached the waypoint if you are anywhere past it relative to the next leg of the flight plan, but the mission system requires you to get closer to the actual waypoint. It's unfortunate that we have this mis-match, but the downside is only that you are forced to either fly to the waypoint via the GPS even though it has highlighted then next leg segment or refer to the mission compass.Of course my suspicions could be wrong and a bug is involved... I do know that save games occasionally do bad things, but I don't know if this is a case of bad behavior from the save game system.

Guest fgeribello

I had the same problem..The clock stopped in 1:15:something..I tried to land on every place inside the airport area and couldn

Guest micklemas

I have had the same problem for the last couple of days. After having a good look around the aircraft systems I noticed it has reverse flap settings. IRL these reduce lift on the wings, so I thought I would try them when landing..... SUCCESS.Landing from the west with -9 degrees of flaps Press F5 then F6 twice. Time was 01:09:52.3Finally I got that tick.Hope this helpsMikeUpdate: Just landed from the east as well and got Success.

Guest edwards2005

I am having the same problem and its drving me crazy i tried all the suggestions that other people said and it still doesnt work!i have opened the ballast valves, used full spoilers, used 2 stages of negative flaps, put the gear down, come in on the west runway, set down on the centre line and stop on the runway. Then the girl ses iv landed out and I've failed...(i have beaten the course record aswell) i really cant think what else i can do...

Guest TimMc

I had the same problem! I even tried saving right before landing and tried landing in both directions. Many times from the direction over a golf course of some sorts, and then from the other direction. Same result every time. "Welcome Back!" Followed by: "Looks like you've landed out!"Then, right before I quit, I was messing around and overflew the golf course to come in for the landing. This time, however, I didn't land and continued a short distance past the airport and landed near a small hill. SUCCESS!!Looks like the coordinates are off. Hope this helps.Tim

Guest stewi2

Why are you guys setting negative flaps during landing ? That's insane since you actually have to fly way too fast for a good landing. The proper way to land a glider is to make sure you dumped all your water ballast beforehand, set full positive flaps and then use the spoilers to adjust your glide angle. Don't remember what the approach speed for a DG 808 is, but it's probably around 45 knots.

Guest b21

Hmmm - I'm still getting this problem. I can get a completion time (best so far 1:15:57) but haven't worked out how to register a successful landing. Landing in the woods isn't an option as I have crash option set. I've landed from both the west and the east but no go.I'm suspicious of the way the mission voice tells me I've done a good start *after* I pass the finish line and *after* getting the good finish message - I think the landout may be confusion over landing after a start rather than a finish. I *do* get a good start at the beginning, and I only move to the next waypoint when I get a positive confirm from the mission compass (i.e. I don't rely on the GPS), so I'm sure I'm not missing any waypoints. I've flown the course 4 times now.

I believe I know what is going on now. In this mission the designer created a property trigger to register if a takeoff was completed after landing out somewhere along the course. Unfortunately it wasn't hooked up quite right and the property trigger will fire as it you had landed out which fails the mission.One of you budding mission builders could probably fix it by either never activating this property trigger or going ahead and hooking it up right.We should have it fixed in SP1.BTW, 1:15 is a great time :)

Guest b21

Thanks - good to hear from a well qualified source and I shall pester you no further.I've opened up the mission editor and will play around to see if I can tweak the mission.If anyone knows of a guaranteed workaround please post it here - some people have posted a completion so we know it's possible. I've tried landing in various spots around the airfield including some pretty hairy touchdowns just in front of the parked gliders but no dice.I've tried landing with full landing flaps, wheel down, center of the runway, no water ballast, from both ends landing short and long. Nada.I think I could do a tad better than 1:15:57 but someone else mentioned 1:10 and that looks *really* tough. As it is I only circle once until TP6 and after that I think its only 3 climbs and home.As an aside the entries in the DG808S .cfg file seem to indicate the cambridge vario should be TE compensated, while the winter vario is simple vertical-climb-rate, but both varios are clearly the latter even though the cambridge is reading some aircraft variometer variable.

Guest bell222

Hi I have managed a 1hr 8 mins time, got the Well done you a winner but still can't get the sucessfull mission, any advice yet?>Thanks - good to hear from a well qualified source and I>shall pester you no further.>>I've opened up the mission editor and will play around to see>if I can tweak the mission.>>If anyone knows of a guaranteed workaround please post it here>- some people have posted a completion so we know it's>possible. I've tried landing in various spots around the>airfield including some pretty hairy touchdowns just in front>of the parked gliders but no dice.>>I've tried landing with full landing flaps, wheel down, center>of the runway, no water ballast, from both ends landing short>and long. Nada.>>I think I could do a tad better than 1:15:57 but someone else>mentioned 1:10 and that looks *really* tough. As it is I only>circle once until TP6 and after that I think its only 3 climbs>and home.>>As an aside the entries in the DG808S .cfg file seem to>indicate the cambridge vario should be TE compensated, while>the winter vario is simple vertical-climb-rate, but both>varios are clearly the latter even though the cambridge is>reading some aircraft variometer variable.

>Hi I have managed a 1hr 8 mins time, got the Well done you a>winner but still can't get the successful mission, any advice>yet?There's something funny about this mission and it has been reported before on other sites, but I got the mission reward (peregrine falcon) with a time of 1h23', yet people with a better time than mine can't seem to obtain it.I believe technically the award should be given with a time of less than 1h30'.Pietro.

Guest b21

1 hour 8 minutes????? you kicked ####.Any particular technique? I managed 1 hour 6 but that was with a 10,000 foot start. So far my best is 1 hour 12 with the 'default' 4000 foot start.And after many tries I haven't found a workaround for the bug but I'm still working on it.

Guest bell222

I too used a 10k foot start, I'll try again with the default start and let you know how i do.

Guest b21

For anyone who hasn't cracked 1 hour 15, here's my run through - not intended to be the 'ideal' approach, just a real example.MISSION OPENstraight glide across airfield to north slope of valleySTART: 3,900 feet, 00:00:00follow north contour of valley briefly in ridge left, turn left out to waypoint 1WAYPOINT 1: 4,300 feet, 00:01:30turn back to north side of valley to get back in ridge liftglide along close to north side of valley in ridge lift, following contours working way up slope without any S-turns. Don't fly too fast (90 knots is ok) if you're at risk of not climbing enough to reach waypoint 3 which is at about 5,500 feet, otherwise you'll end up S-turning to get up there. Turn left out to waypoint 2, passing through a visible thermal for boost on the way, without circling.WAYPOINT 2: 6,400 feet, 00:08:55Turn back immediately to the north side of the valley towards waypoint 3, with a bit of luck you're still high enough to make it in a straight flight.WAYPOINT 3: 6,200 feet, 00:10:27continue along the ridge through strong lift after WP3 towards WP4. Depending on height you may need to crcle half way along this ridge before WP4, or you might make it to a huge thermal above the rocks on the *south* side of the valley just before WP4. The following times are based on the first thermal but you can do a lot better getting over to the thermal on the south.WAYPOINT 4: 13,500 feet, 00:25:28turn quickly and head straight for WP5 back on the north side of the valleyWAYPOINT 5: 12,900 feet, 00:26:19head straight for WP6 17 nm away over the high ground. Cruise as fast as you can to get there around 7500 feet.WAYPOINT 6: 7,550 feet, 00:33:44turn the WP and head for WP 7 diverting slightly to the right to pass over the large rock not far from WP 6 to take a strong climb up to maybe 14,000 feet. If you get to this rock too long you end up struggling in the backwash. At 14,000 feet stop thermalling and head straight for WP7WAYPOINT 7: 10,200 feet, 00:42:30Fly past WP7 and head straight for WP 8.WAYPOINT 8: 10,650 feet, 00:48:15Fly on diverting a little to the right, and quickly pick up a large thermal and climb to maybe 14,000 feet. It's a long run to WP9 and the idea is to get high enough to pick up the next thermal from the bald mountain to the north of the valley 6.5 miles before WP9. You have to be high enough to get to the top of that mountain. Approx 6.7 miles before WP 9, over the rocks on the North side of the valley you'll fly through turbulence and enter a *very* strong thermal which goes up to an enormous height, more than you need. This is the LAST climb on the course. Climb fast to 17,000 feet and set off for WP9 at 140 knots. You'll continue to climb straight ahead for a while. From now on it's a straight run for home.WAYPOINT 9: 17,400 feet, 01:06:37WAYPOINT 10: 14,600 feet, 01:08:04WAYPOINT 11: 11,450 feet, 01:10:32Yes, I was way too high here and shouldn't have climbed as high earlier. Whatever - I'm giving you my real times.FINISH: 01:15:57As you can see, there are plenty of areas to improve but only by a few percent on the overall times, so in a real soaring x-country race the points would be very close.