Sign in to follow this  
Guest Toucan

Alpine Soaring Mission

Guest LTn

I can contribute with some timings to this competition for the 60 min finish.Start at 4000 ft.wp2 7:54wp3 9:17wp4 20:57wp5 22:16wp6 29:04wp7 35:54wp8 39:56wp9 52:35wp10 54:19wp11 57:26finish 1:02:37LarryT

I did it!!! 59:56 I will get the picture reduced and show it tomorrow.The hardest is the finishing. It's late now I will explain later.

Guest LTn

Climbs where here:1. All the way to wp22. Just before wp43. wp6-7: Over the mountains4. wp7-8: Through thermal 1 to the left.5. wp8-9: Over the mountains6. Home at 130 knots.Larry

Guest LTn

Congratulations!!Could you give us time and height for each wp?Larry

Yes records are made to be broken!The usual start at 10000 feet and I went for broke @ 100 knots, got into the boomer south of WPT4, out 13500 feet! It is important to get some speed coming out as the downdraft is severe. The less time spent the better. Straight to Wpt 6, negative flaps trim the glider and cruise @100 kts. Keep the wpt6 on your right then direct on to the Hot rock when I got out @13500 feet and then straight to WPT8. I dolphined through the thermal before the turn. Here is how it goes : you enter it, flaps to normal keep 80 kts , sink then lift you gain 500 feet but when you come out you lose it all , at least you are the same altitude. By now you are practically at WPt 8. I turned to the ridge and managed to scrape in. Wonderful lift and soon I was climbing like a rocket. Those who want to know about negative flap here it is : I started to climb @ 90kts and I realised I was safe, negative flap the speed increase to 110 kts still climbing like a rocket. This is where you must take all the risk if you want to break the record. There is no need to go beyond 13000 feet. Even when there is no lift you must cruise @ 110 kts. Your pointer should be straight to Wpt 9. Once you are up and safe save the game , Go wild with the speed , amaze yourself try everything possible. On the third wave I was about 400 feet above the ridge floor but I know where they start so I take risk. Use the fourth wave to climb to 13000 feet but be careful because it does not last very long . Now it

Guest b21

I reckon your 1:02 from a straight start is a better speed.

I agree with you and I will try from the standard start. How do you get to insert the picture? I tried to reduce it but looks awful and messy. The original from fsx is 3 mega in bmp, I followed the instructions but nothing doing. Well a bit of Xmas pud will make the gliding better!!!Merry Xmall to all sailors of the Sky!Alain

Guest b21

open the screenshot in 'Paint' (start menu-accessories-paint) and save as a 'jpg', *not* a 'bmp'. Note the next paragraph though :)I just did 55 minutes 23.1 seconds from a high start (go on, ask me how high). But there wasn't much finesse to it. I've taken a screenshot but I'm not that proud of the performance as the high start would count as a real-world 'cheat'. The flight had just one climb, to 20500 feet just before WP4, so *after* that the flight was the same as if I'd done a 4000 foot start (except about 5 minutes faster). So maxloading I still have you as the recordholder.I've just converted the DG808S vario to 'total energy' (not the audio though) and will post that up in a few days. It shows how crazy the non-compensated vario is.After that I reckon I should work on a new soaring mission - using the same start airfield as the FSX mission, but set a different task in different conditions (day 2 of the competition...). Still have ridge lift, but northerly wind maybe 15 knots, set cloudbase to 11-12,000 feet and limit thermals to this height. And I'd limit the start height. Any simple suggestions let me know - at this stage I'm not sure how much work is involved so I could be talking bolox.

How High the moon?I think the course is supberb no need to change anything. What I would like to see ( if it is possible) is an AI glider which is doing the club time and is triggered by your own start or an AI shadow glider which will be using the last record you set yourself! Chasing it would be tremendous fun and incentive to improve your own record!I tried to see what use the on board computer could be, but the distance shown seems to be different from the pointer and the relative wind is ok but does not help much. This mission is very addictive, everytime I just go along for the ride, I always end up chasing the sun!

The most obscure thing I have had (amongst all the other problems also described here) is that girl telling me at WP6 that I am a little behind time.at 23 minutes and 12000 ft!!!Still keep "landing out" at Zell - and failing the mission.

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel

landing out? Yes I had the same problem, but if you downloaded Sp1, the bug is cured and you will get your reward!

Guest robinhutter

It's quite some time, since this question has been asked. I installed SP1 and it didn't fix the bug. For those who still want that peregrine falcon: After crossing the finish line, dump the water, lower your gear, speed brakes, full flaps and go down quickly. You should be able to find some spot to land on - reduce autogen density if necessary. - This worked perfectly for me. Btw, my time was 1:09 ;-)

Guest iflyc77

Did'nt read the thread, but the people landing with negative flaps are being very un-realistic.In the real gliders (flapped ones anyway) we land with full positive (sometimes even a very steep landing notch) to give the most lift and lowest stall speed.With negative flaps, your stall speed goes way up. Flaps should be used in porportion with speed, in the climbs, postive (not to landing, too much drag) and then negative for high speed cruises.And for a GOOD soaring simulator (FSX is just mediocre for soaring)www.condorsoaring.comBest sim I have ever flown.

Guest tripecac

I am getting the same bug. I've tried landing on the runway, grass, even the fields near the airport, and no matter what, I always get "mission failed" and something about "landing out".:(