Sign in to follow this  
Guest harlanpepper

Catalina mission (spoilers, of course)

Guest harlanpepper

This was one of the first non-beginner/training missions I ran and got a kick out of it. It was also the first time I've experienced a failure while simming (never used the option in FS9) and it's a rush! It prompted me to try the Expert mission where you're in a 737 at 35k feet and both engines fail, but wasn't on top of my game and ran out of options before ditching in the ocean. I'll have to give that another attempt tonight and pick the other (smaller) airport.But back to Catalina - anyone land somewhere other than the aircraft carrier? I initially thought of gliding to the coast, then noticed the carrier nearby and changed course. Barely made the landing, too - I was about 5 feet from sliding off the end of the ship when I finally came to a stop. :)

We kind of dropped the ball by not recognizing a safe landing for locations other than the carrier and Santa Monica. Sorry about that...

Guest archtx

>We kind of dropped the ball by not recognizing a safe landing>for locations other than the carrier and Santa Monica. Sorry>about that...That would be an easy fix for someone, thanks to including samples of all the missions in the SDK. I really appreciated that little extra, because now after flying many of the missions it is enjoyable to go back and see how they were created. Nice touch!

There are acctually two possible endings to this mission. (As there are in a lot of the missions)When the engine dies, all you need to do is set up your best glide, feather the prop, turn on the aux fuel pump and re-start the engine. If you leave the aux fuel pump on you can make it all the way to your destination. If you turn the aux fuel pump off again the engine will die in a few seconds, and you'll be back to square one.Essentially your problem is just a failed or clogged fuel pump.If you re-start and continue you will recive the 'problem solver' badge.Remember folks! Rule number one in complex aircraft! Simplest solution first! A restart is a whole lot easier than a dead stick carrier landing! (Not to mention the homeland security interogation.. lol :+ ) Troubleshoot the aircraft, know your systems and think like a Flight Engineer! :-cool-Jason Peters E-3 AWACS Flight Engineer USAF (Former B-52H Crew Chief) Jason.Peters@cox.nethttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Exactly, and very well said :)We figured a small percentage of you would figure out how to solve the failure condition. In our play test labs using experienced real and sim pilots, only one in about 12 would figure that out.

Thanks P-12C! One in 12 huh? Well, I'm trained to think like that, so thats my excuse! I guess it really depends on how the user approaches the simulation. If it is only a game.. "Then there is the carrier, that is my objective" If they are imersed in the simulation than it's "OH *%#$! miles of open water to the nearest piece of concrete and the only thing saving me from a swim is a running engine!"Of course there is the in between, these are the folks who are learning as much as they can from real world aviators like you, me and others here in the forums.Best advice for flying... first thing I was taught!AVIATE, NAVIGATE, COMMUNICATE in that order!-Jason Peters E-3 AWACS Flight Engineer USAF (Former B-52H Crew Chief) Jason.Peters@cox.nethttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Guest harlanpepper

Wow, Jason... I never even considered the possibility of being able to restart the engine. I guess I exposed myself as a flight sim noob.I'll have to go back and re-fly this one. And figure out what all those little buttons and switches in the cockpit do. :) Thanks for the info.