Sign in to follow this  
JonRD463

Amazon Trek - WOW! (no spoilers here)

Just completed it after attempting a few times, and I want to express how cool it was. Anyone who thinks the missions make FSX more gamelike clearly needs to do this one. Do you like Indiana Jones? Do you like Tales of the Gold Monkey? This mission is for you, then. Imagine being a pilot put into the types of derring-do situations Indy found himself in, and add a very generous helping of a test to piloting skill and you've got 40 minutes to an hour's worth (depending on how you fly it) of a certain "je ne sais quoi" that FS has lacked over the years. Very impressive, indeed. Though I don't want to spoil anything, I do want to offer one hint: The fourth time you have to take off in the mission, get as much speed and altitude in as little amount of time as possible. This is where my two previous attempts bit me in the butt.Have fun, guys! As others have commented on other missions, this one was a genuine HOOT! :D

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

Guest sdaigle

This is indeed a very fun mission! I already failed few time myself, so I understand what you are talking about ;)This is probably the mission that shows how cool the new mission system his. I bet that in few months, internet will be filled with high quality missions like this one.Beeing a soft engineer myself, I am curently studying the SDK. I have been inspired by this mission to create one where you would be a pilot of a government agency that carries around scientifics to a UFO sighting site in New Mexico.

Guest archtx

Jon this is one that I enjoyed most myself. I got tired of flying it in the Goose, so changed to a Beech 18 on floats and flew it some more. So what do you figure...is that mask just bad luck, or what? I'm going to change the archeologist to a droppable object and shove her out the door....well, at least the mask.

Well... I'll reserve comment. ;) I want to keep this thread spoiler free for those who haven't flown this mission yet. I will say this, however: I wish FSX came with 50 missions of a simular nature to this one. I could fly them all day long. Some of the others are fine, but I can't really get into the "Fly a lear jet through these big green ring" types. Storyline missions with some good old fashioned adventure is my cup o' tea. :)

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

Guest archtx

> Storyline>missions with some good old fashioned adventure is my cup o'>tea. :)>I agree...those are the best ones. However, I have even flown all of the basic lessons and enjoyed those as well. When I get a little more practice under my belt with the mission editor, I am hoping to design some missions based on Ernest Gann's "Fate is the Hunter" book. But, of course, I love the old propliners. Another idea I am toying with, though a bit morbid, is re-creating scenarios from some accident reports. The advantage being that they generally have very detailed info.

>I do want to offer one hint: The fourth time you>have to take off in the mission, get as much speed and>altitude in as little amount of time as possible. This is>where my two previous attempts bit me in the butt.You do know that you don't actually have to make the 'pavement' rwy to pass the mission, I didn't have enough altitude and speed but I still found somewhere to put it down a still pass the mission on my first attempt.