Sign in to follow this  
Tony G

Yakutat mission ( no spoilers)

Anyone try this one out? What an incredible mission this one is. You have to be on your game to get it. It really deserves to be under the expert category!!! This was the 1st expert mission for me.Off for a well deserved 'Turkey dinner' (those that have passed it know what i mean :)http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...s/Goodale01.jpgAMD2400XP1GB RAMATI 9200 128MB cardAnd yes I can run FSX!

Guest The_Pharoah

yeah I got it first time. I thought it was a bit overboard if you ask me. SPOILER - if you don't want to know the mission stop reading from hereanyway, having all those things happen at once is just b/s. I mean, vacuum failure, engine fire in zero visibility plus no radar coverage AND a stupid bear on the runway....thats a bit much. Yes I did manage to land first time (almost 45 deg crabbed because I spotted the runway at my 2 o'clock but still managed to set her down. I came down about 1/4 down the r/w but I did manage to see that stupid bear.

You might be interested to know that the FAA notes for Yakutat specifically call out snow berms and bears on the runway as hazards to aviators.

I didn't think the mission was overdone (maybe the fire) I found myself a little stressed out flying in IMC without a horizon. Made me remember the 5 hours I have under a hood in a 172, and what it was like when the instructor covers random instruments. Really makes you understand how easy it is to lose your bearing in IMC.

Yeah.. this ones kinda weird.. my computer isn't the best so I'm getting stutters and it crashed me grrrSecond time I was doing it, I crossed the beacon and the atc/cojoe voices went dead.. so I just turned outbound myself... never heard anything so I only assume something bugged out in the mission so I called it quits for the day...

I've got to say that this one actually had me sweating and swearing! I landed right next to the bear about half way down the runway, with a yell of "ARGH! bloody bear!"

I know this is a "way old" post but having just seen it... I have to reply...I totally disagree about "having all those things happen at once is b/s". Improbable... maybe... Impossible... I don't think so.I had a turbine engine prof. at Purdue tell us that "compressor wheel failures just don't happen" (in turbine engines)... turbine wheels... sure... but not compressor wheels. In re: to the DC-10 crash at Souix City, Iowa in July of '89; it is my understanding that it was a compressor wheel failure which caused a complete failure of all three hydraulic systems (severing the hyd. lines)... something that was considered "impossible" http://www.airdisaster.com/eyewitness/ua232.shtml . So when I hear "impossible" about something in aircraft operations (e.g. "you can't spin an Ercoupe")... usually the first thing to come to mind is "remember the Titanic" (o.k. it was a boat but was supposed to be "impossible" to sink :-P ).When the co-pilot mentioned during the pre-takeoff brief that he didn't know why the (autofeather) annunciator was on and that he had "checked the oil"... I immediately thought, "engine failure to ILS minimums... here it comes...). The ATC radar coverage failure just meant (afaik) that we would be doing the full approach (having to fly the procedure turn) instead of being stepped down and vectored to the final approach course. Partial panel made things very interesting. The engine fire, from my perspective, was a psyops thing thrown in... like... are u going to worry about something (that u can do nothing about) and allow it to distract you which could lead u to crash, or, are u going to focus on making a good approach to landing so u can run like the wind from the plane when u stop? The bear was the "AAAAAHH!!! Just my luck!" kind of thing. I've had to deal with deer and "migratory fowl" in the past.I have such a great time with these missions... very creative. And this one was outstanding too.. made me "sweat" also. It is very gratifying to me to successfully think my way out of these situations. :-DRob O.

Guest NeXTer

Yep, I definitely enjoyed this mission. It was definitely correctly classified as "Expert" and got the adrenaline flowing. I misjudged my landing the first time and landed in the trees short of the runway but managed fine the second time.I can't say I enjoyed the conditions, but managing the last bit of the flight gave a sweet sense of accomplishment.Some of the other "Expert" missions were pretty laughable. The 747 Test Flight in particular springs to mind. A couple of the beginner flights were trickier than that one...

Yeah, this was a fun mission. AS far as too many things going wrong, I have come to expect that things will go wrong in just about every mission. I can usually tell, after flying the mission for a few minutes, if there will be a problem. MS is getting a tad predictable with the failures/emergencies. I am not suprised by these any more, but I do enjoy the challenges.